• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible 2nd DUI in GA on GA license, now living in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hedgeshort

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia & New York

I was pulled over for DUI (in GA) in July of 2007, 10 months before I graduated college. I didn't want a second conviction on my record during my job application process so my attorney managed to push the date back until next month (March 2009).

I'm employed in Connecticut now and living in New York. Life is good.

While my GA license is still valid, I am considering getting my NYS drivers license, as my current license is not suspended or revoked as I await my court date (not to mention for obvious residency and tax purposes).

Now, if I am convicted of a 2nd DUI in 5 years in GA on a GA license, what will happen to my NY license, as GA only has the authority to revoke my driving privileges on a GA issued license in the state of GA.

I have read that GA is not a member of the "driver license compact" so would my NY license show up as revoked if I were pulled over?

I'm not trying to avoid the unavoidable fact of this catching up to me in one way or another; I just want to make sure I'm holding the best license possible when the fat lady sings.

Additionally, on a 2nd DUI in GA, I'm not eligible for a conditional license, while in NY I believe it would be possible since the offense took place in a different state on a different state's license?

If this doesn't work I'm just going to move into the city for the next year.

I hope my questions are somewhat clear. Thank you for any advice provided in response to this thread.

Regards,
HedgeShort

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">