• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Preparing for Your Driver License Appeal Hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wingsfan81

Preparing for My Driver's License Appeal Hearing

What is the name of your state? MI

Background:
I have received my 2nd DUI in less than a 7 year time frame (2 years and 2 months to be almost exact). The first one being young and just plain stupid/ignorant/arrogant. The 2nd being somewhat the same but a bit more background on the situation. In the beginning of this year I experienced a divorce, a foreclosure, and the death of 2 close family members. I attempted to live with my ex until the house sold in the beginning but after a few months on the market was forced to go through foreclosure proceedings. I was at the point where I could tolerate her just enough to share the roof with her and split the bills, but opted to be out of the house while she was present in the home. I made poor decisions during this rough time and made the choice to drive home drunk. I blew a .12, no accident, no injuries, solo driver/rider of the automobile, and no conflicts with the arresting officers.

Court orders:
I served an ordered 8 days of jail (10 with 1 served, 1 for good behavior), and ordered through an aggressive sentencing through my court system. I was forced to take individual counseling once a week, 1 night a week 8-session group counseling, followed up by Men's relapse counseling. I was also told to find a sponsor, read the AA big book, and attend AA at least 3x a week. I also had 60 straight days of PBTs, and once completed (with no issues of dirty blows) was put through 1x a month random drug screening through urinalysis, and 2x a week PBTs (never had a dirty drop or blow).

Present Day:
I have completed the 1on1 and group counseling, and since I was not court ordered to attend AA, I could have stopped. However, in order to continue a life of sobriety I have continued AA at LEAST 4x a week (3x originally required, and one additional for the evenings I no longer have group counseling for mens relapse). I also have picked up a 2nd sponsor and make an effort to touch base with them 2-3 times a week outside of my regular AA meetings that I also see them. I have worked through step 4 thus far of my 12 step program. I have kept all receipts and paperwork showing my meeting attendance, PBT and drug screening results, and completing my counseling sessions.

Preperation for getting license back:
This brings us to my question. What would you all suggest for getting my license reinstated? Am I taking proper steps with the program I still continue to work, knowing it is needed to keep my sobriety for longterm? Is there something more I should do? Suggestions for preparing for my hearing? Thanks in advance to any advice you all have!!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? MI

Background:
I have received my 2nd DUI in less than a 7 year time frame (2 years and 2 months to be almost exact). The first one being young and just plain stupid/ignorant/arrogant. The 2nd being somewhat the same but a bit more background on the situation. In the beginning of this year I experienced a divorce, a foreclosure, and the death of 2 close family members. I attempted to live with my ex until the house sold in the beginning but after a few months on the market was forced to go through foreclosure proceedings. I was at the point where I could tolerate her just enough to share the roof with her and split the bills, but opted to be out of the house while she was not present. I made poor decisions during this rough time and made the choice to drive home drunk. I blew a .12, no accident, no injuries, solo driver/rider of the automobile, and no conflicts with the arresting officers.

Court orders:
I served an ordered 8 days of jail (10 with 1 served, 1 for good behavior), and ordered through an aggressive sentencing through my court system. I was forced to take individual counseling once a week, 1 night a week 8-session group counseling, followed up by Men's relapse counseling. I was also told to find a sponsor, read the AA big book, and attend AA at least 3x a week. I also had 60 straight days of PBTs, and once completed (with no issues of dirty blows) was put through 1x a month random drug screening through urinalysis, and 2x a week PBTs (never had a dirty drop or blow).

Present Day:
I have completed the 1on1 and group counseling, and since I was not court ordered to attend AA, I could have stopped. However, in order to continue a life of sobriety I have continued AA at LEAST 4x a week (3x originally required, and one additional for the evenings I no longer have group counseling for mens relapse). I also have picked up a 2nd sponsor and make an effort to touch base with them 2-3 times a week outside of my regular AA meetings that I also see them. I have worked through step 4 thus far of my 12 step program.

Preperation for getting license back:
This brings us to my question. What would you all suggest for getting my license reinstated? Am I taking proper steps with the program I still continue to work, knowing it is needed to keep my sobriety for longterm? Is there something more I should do? Suggestions for preparing for my hearing? Thanks in advance to any advice you all have!!
**A: my suggestion is that you don't drive.

wingsfan81

**A: my suggestion is that you don't drive.
It is necessary for me to perform my job and getting my family where they need to be. My ability to drive outweighs my need/want for alcohol and no longer plays a roll in my life. I cannot say 20, 30 or even 40 years down the road, "I will still be sober", but as AA has taught, a day at a time, is how I am going about it, and haven't drank today, don't plan on drinking tomorrow. It has cost me far more than it has in benefits and just plain dont want it anymore. Thats why I know I have to continue my current program in order to stay on the path of sobriety. but thanks for being an ass, I appreciate it /sarcasm.

HomeGuru

It is necessary for me to perform my job and getting my family where they need to be. My ability to drive outweighs my need/want for alcohol and no longer plays a roll in my life. I cannot say 20, 30 or even 40 years down the road, "I will still be sober", but as AA has taught, a day at a time, is how I am going about it, and haven't drank today, don't plan on drinking tomorrow. It has cost me far more than it has in benefits and just plain dont want it anymore. Thats why I know I have to continue my current program in order to stay on the path of sobriety. but thanks for being an ass, I appreciate it /sarcasm.
**A: you are very welcome.

wingsfan81

I don't believe that there is anything that you can do, but "apply". Most people get their licenses back.
ya, i have the paperwork to send in for the appeal, but just wondering as far as preparation for it, what suggestions people have. I have seen people denied and just wanting to prevent that in all means possible.

paguy88

man sorry to hear about the divorce(many family members keep telling me to never get married haha)

how did you lose your home if you dont mind me asking?

duece78

I hate to tell you but they deny you the first time 99% of the time, no matter how clear and convincing you are. I have been without my license for 5 years for 2 dui's in 7 years. I have been sober for 4 years now. I went for the first time 2.5 years ago and was denied. I had my second hearing last monday oct. 15th. It was a success! I just recieved my license back (with the interlock device of course) My suggestion is don't give up, if you have been doing the things you claim, speak with a lawyer and get the ball rolling, it is not a quick process... I just read your last dui was 1 year ago.. that is not good, you will need at least 3 years of sobriety, all you can do is try though. Good luck to you

Last edited:

wingsfan81

I hate to tell you but they deny you the first time 99% of the time, no matter how clear and convincing you are. I have been without my license for 5 years for 2 dui's in 7 years. I have been sober for 4 years now. I went for the first time 2.5 years ago and was denied. I had my second hearing last monday oct. 15th. It was a success! I just recieved my license back (with the interlock device of course) My suggestion is don't give up, if you have been doing the things you claim, speak with a lawyer and get the ball rolling, it is not a quick process... I just read your last dui was 1 year ago.. that is not good, you will need at least 3 years of sobriety, all you can do is try though. Good luck to you
not sure if its going to make ANY difference, but it was actually charged as my 1st offense DUI.

duece78

It doesn't matter, 2 dui's still show up on your record within 7 years. Even if it was reduced to a first offense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">