+ Reply to Thread
    gadui is offline Junior Member

probation meeting

What is the name of your state? GA

I pled nolo contendere to my first lifetime DUI on July 27. My first meeting with my probation officer will be on Thursday, August 10. What will it be like? What should I expect? If you have been on probation, what has your experience been?
    seniorjudge is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gadui
    What is the name of your state? GA

I pled nolo contendere to my first lifetime DUI on July 27. My first meeting with my probation officer will be on Thursday, August 10. What will it be like? What should I expect? If you have been on probation, what has your experience been?
    My advice: remember that the probation officer has the keys to the jail. Do what he or she says without argument.
    There are two rules for success:

(1) Never tell everything you know.
    BigMistakeFl is offline Senior Member

BigMistakeFl

Exactly as Senior says above. First impressions are important too. Your PO will have not only keys to the jail, but can be instrumental in things such as, leniency with regard to vehicle impoundment, travel needs, letters of explanation to prospective employers, etc. And the entire staff of the probation office do talk about their "customers". When one gets a bad reputation as being a pain, word gets around the office. Your PO can make your probation easy or rough. This may sound stupid, but make sure you don't meet your PO after drinking. Some really do this according to my PO, and it's disasterous.

I recommend getting all conditions of your probation started and finished as quickly as possible. One of the things people sometimes fail to accomplish in the specified period is their community service hours. Be cooperative and polite, and it will go very smoothly. Your PO is not your enemy, unless you make him or her so.
    gadui is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the advice BigMistakeFl,
    I certainly won't be showing up after drinking. I haven't had a drink since the night before my last court date. I know, big deal, it's only been about 2 weeks, but, I used to drink almost daily.

I've already completed many of my probation/sentencing requirements. I had an alcohol evaluation done by a clinical psychologist and attended the 20-hour dui risk reduction class. I wanted to get a jump on the community service, so I volunteered at the animal shelter and have a letter from them stating that I did my full 40 hours there. I'd go to the MADD VIP meeting tomorrow night, but the judge told me to go to the September one. Basically all that's left for the PO is to randomly test me for alcohol use and collect $$$ (fines and monthly probation fees). I don't inted to do anything to violate my probation. It should be an easy $44/month for my PO.