• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

profiling?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

x31ace

What is the name of your state? Ohio
Okay, so the only question that I have is: Is it legal for police in Ohio to profile for a DUI stop? The officer that pulled me over followed me for a couple of minutes. When we came to a stop light, I got into the left hand turn lane and he got into the right hand lane. He pulled up like he was going to turn, and looked and my passenger and myself. When the light turned green, he put his car into reverse and got behind me to pull me over. It seems resonable to believe that the only reason that he pulled me over is because he saw two young men in a car coming from the direction of a bar at two o'clock in the morning. In his report he said nothing at all about poor driving (crossing the line, swerving etc.), and the only thing he had to go on was no front license plate. If that is why he pulled me over, why then did he wait a couple of minutes and only pull me over after he had the chance to look at my passenger and myself?

Any help would be appreciated.

Just Blue

Okay, so the only question that I have is: Is it legal for police in Ohio to profile for a DUI stop? The officer that pulled me over followed me for a couple of minutes. When we came to a stop light, I got into the left hand turn lane and he got into the right hand lane. He pulled up like he was going to turn, and looked and my passenger and myself. When the light turned green, he put his car into reverse and got behind me to pull me over. It seems resonable to believe that the only reason that he pulled me over is because he saw two young men in a car coming from the direction of a bar at two o'clock in the morning. In his report he said nothing at all about poor driving (crossing the line, swerving etc.), and the only thing he had to go on was no front license plate. If that is why he pulled me over, why then did he wait a couple of minutes and only pull me over after he had the chance to look at my passenger and myself?

Did you get arrested for a DUI? If yes what was your BAC?

x31ace

yes i did get arrested for dui. my bac was .151 was the stop legal though?

Last edited:

weenor

Okay, so the only question that I have is: Is it legal for police in Ohio to profile for a DUI stop? It seems resonable to believe that the only reason that he pulled me over is because he saw two young men in a car coming from the direction of a bar at two o'clock in the morning.

That is not profiling that is shooting fish out of barrell-Legal and easy

In his report he said nothing at all about poor driving (crossing the line, swerving etc.), and the only thing he had to go on was no front license plate. If that is why he pulled me over, why then did he wait a couple of minutes and only pull me over after he had the chance to look at my passenger and myself?

Because he didn't see that you didn't have the required front license plate until he pulled up next to you.

The cop just needs probable cause of a traffic violation (no front license plate, broken tail light, etc. . .) to pull you over and check. Next time you drink and drive make sure that your "ride" is operating under the law:D

x31ace

the reason i thought drunk profiling might be illegal is because another cop in the area recently had about twenty arrests thrown out because he kept pulling over hippie looking people and searching their cars for drugs. they called it profiling and everyone got their cases thrown out. it was worth a shot. all i wanted to know was if the stop was legal. thank you all for answering my question.

midnightduipro

Yes, it was legal. Did you ever think that he might have pulled up to look and see if you had a front license plate? Even if he did pull you over because of how you looked, if he had probable cause it's still legal. It's called a pretext stop. Also, as far as the story about the officer getting all his drug arrests thrown out, I wouldn't believe it. They would have had to go through each of his cases and argue that he didn't have probable cause. Sounds like BS to me.

If your state law requires a front and back license plate then, the officer made a legal stop. My guess is he pulled up to the side to take a look at you and the passengers condition.

Lesson learned: Never drive after midnite regardless of your condition unless it's an emergency such as taking someone to the hospital. Otherwise, take a taxi. You were a
.15 so you were driving illegally.

However, I would be concerned about the officer targeting all the hippie looking people and searching their cars. It's not illegal to look like a hippie.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

Why would you be driving, fully aware of the law, yet without a front license plate?

Is Ohio your home? Have you driven there for very long?

It's the omissions in this forum that tell so much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">