• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prosecutor Vs DA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

archi555

General question regarding the Prosecutor's word vs. DA's word?

I was told by my attorney (when i was leaving a courtroom) that a prosecutor has offered a lesser plea (what i was hoping for initially) as long as the paperwork will be provided (which it was thereafter).

However, when i spoke with my attorney couple of weeks later, he stated that a DA does not want to settle with an offered plea by the prosecutor.

It really does not make sense to me, as i thought it would be up to a prosecutor to offer a plea bargain?!?!

Thank you!

CdwJava

General question regarding the Prosecutor's word vs. DA's word?

I was told by my attorney (when i was leaving a courtroom) that a prosecutor has offered a lesser plea (what i was hoping for initially) as long as the paperwork will be provided (which it was thereafter).

However, when i spoke with my attorney couple of weeks later, he stated that a DA does not want to settle with an offered plea by the prosecutor.

It really does not make sense to me, as i thought it would be up to a prosecutor to offer a plea bargain?!?!

Thank you!
The District Attorney's office employs the prosecutors (also called Assistant DAs or Deputy DAs) at the county level. If you are in a state where there is a local prosecutor in a municipal or local justice court, then the prosecutor may be the city attorney and not an ADA/DDA.

It seems, by what you wrote, that an ADA/DDA may have proposed a possible plea deal, but appears to have been overruled by his or her boss - the DA.

There is not much you can do about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">