• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Intoxication - First Offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bmurphy9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hi, over the Labor Day Weekend I was with some friends at a lake in Warsaw, Indiana. We were all having a good time at my friends's aunt's cottage. That night we decided to take the pontoon boat across the lake to a campground because we had heard there was a live band. I had never been to the lake or campground before so I knew nothing about it. I had drank marginally throughout the day but was no were near drunk. We proceeded across the lake, parked the pontoon at the dock and we started down the main road and decided to ask some campers on a golf where the live band was, they stated that it was at the front of the campground and that it was about a 15 minute walk. At that time, one of my friends did not have shoes on so he said he was going to take the pontoon back across the lake to the cottage and get shoes and come back. He left, and we decided to take the campers on the golf cart up on the offer of a ride up to the front. They proceeded to take us up to the front, when we got there we spent about 15 minutes there decided it was just some mom and pop band and decided to have the campers take us back to the beach to see if our friend had made his way back yet across the lake. Upon arrival back at the beach, our friend had not made his way back so we decided to wait. In waiting, two of my friends saw a couple paddle boats sitting on the beach. They had consumed a little bit more alcohol than I and one of them stated to the other they should try to pick one of the paddle boats up. Just screwing around. I was standing near them but never touched the paddleboat. They raised the boat about 2 inches off the ground and layed it back down. At that time I saw a golf cart heading our way and heard a couple of older men shouting and asking what we were doing. I panicked at this time and stepped behind a small barn about 5 feet from where I was standing. From that position, I saw both of my friends take off running in opposite directions. I heard someone coming around one side of the shed and I took off running as well. At no time, did these men ever state who they were. Come to find out late they were just local residents of the campground who part of the security staff. After running, I hid for about an hour with one of my friends. After an hour we felt it might be safe to try and find a way around the lake back to our cottage. To our dismay though, the campground was like a huge maize at night and running had really thrown us off of where we were at. We continued to walk for about 30 minutes, and at that point we were stopped by a golf cart. We cooperated and answered any questions they had for us. Over a radio, that one of the gentleman had we heard that our other friend had been caught and was on his way to the county jail. Before long an officer arrived and he asked my friend some questions first, then proceeded to ask me and then had me blow which I blew a .03. He seemed even surprised by that as he goes "Oh thats not much". I was very cooperative with the officer and explained to him that we were just over there to have a good time. My friends had no intention of stealing the paddleboat or doing any damage to it. Which they did not, as stated it was picked up about 2 inche off the ground and let down. He stated that the security staff felt like we were solely over there across the lake to steal the paddleboat. He stated though, after talking with us that he did not feel we were the type of guys to be over there to cause damage or steal something. He stated that if we had not ran, that the security staff probably would have just let us go and told us not to come back and that he doubts he would even have been called. I had explained to him, that when I saw my friends running I just panicked and took off too. He was very nice, and continued to chat with me and my friend about where we go to college, where we were from, and what our majors were in college. Along with the charge of Public Intoxication, I was also given a no-trespassing warning for 2 years to the campground. I stated I understood this and would fully hold up my side of it. I have court on October 10th. My question is, can the prosecutor put anything else on us after the fact like Criminal Mischief even though there was no damage done to anything?? If I just plead guilty to Public Intoxication, what do you think I am looking at?? This is my first offense ever, and will be my last. I very rairly drink, maybe once or twice a month at parties. Thanks for any info or opinions in advance!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">