• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled over while under the influence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newguy3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

First, let me state how grateful and lucky I feel after what occurred yesterday. Not only that I didn't injure anyone else or myself, but that this officer decided to have mercy on me and not give me a DUI.

After having a few drinks at the bar with my friend, he gave me a ride to my car which was parked at a nearby train station. I began to drive home (about a 15 minute drive) and about 2 minutes away from home I got pulled over. The officer was driving on the other side of the road, and when I saw him I guess I swerved a little as a nervous reaction, and he immediately turned around and pulled me over. He asked if I had been drinking, and I admitted that I had been. For some reason, I still don't understand and maybe never will, he told me I could call my parents (I was headed to my parents house) and they could pick me up. I was 21 years old (I just turned 22 today, maybe this had something to do with his leniency), so I was of legal drinking age, but I feel I was probably over the limit. He didn't breathalyze me or anything, and I was let go with a failure to maintain lane.

So my question is, is there any logical reason he let me go? I deserve to be in jail. Maybe he just felt nice that day. I still don't understand it, and I realize how blessed I was to be given mercy like that. Thanks for any insightful replies.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

First, let me state how grateful and lucky I feel after what occurred yesterday. Not only that I didn't injure anyone else or myself, but that this officer decided to have mercy on me and not give me a DUI.

After having a few drinks at the bar with my friend, he gave me a ride to my car which was parked at a nearby train station. I began to drive home (about a 15 minute drive) and about 2 minutes away from home I got pulled over. The officer was driving on the other side of the road, and when I saw him I guess I swerved a little as a nervous reaction, and he immediately turned around and pulled me over. He asked if I had been drinking, and I admitted that I had been. For some reason, I still don't understand and maybe never will, he told me I could call my parents (I was headed to my parents house) and they could pick me up. I was 21 years old (I just turned 22 today, maybe this had something to do with his leniency), so I was of legal drinking age, but I feel I was probably over the limit. He didn't breathalyze me or anything, and I was let go with a failure to maintain lane.

So my question is, is there any logical reason he let me go? I deserve to be in jail. Maybe he just felt nice that day. I still don't understand it, and I realize how blessed I was to be given mercy like that. Thanks for any insightful replies.
He was having a good day. He didn't think you were too intoxicated. He was being nice. Just realize that you were extremely lucky and NEVER do that again. Drink at home or only with a designated driver. Don't be stupid or the next time you come on here it will be asking for a good way to defend yourself from a manslaughter charge.

witzeroni

I ask this in all seriousness. Are you a policeman or is somebody in your family one? Do you look like one? If no, I can't really think of any other reason of why he would have let you off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">