• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about CA restricted driver license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rockybritain

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Q1:
I got a DUI in California and have a restricted driver license. My lawyer said my suspension was only supposed to be for 5 months, and the first paperwork I got from the DMV showed this time to be up in May of this year, which would be the 5 months. But the lady at the DMV office told me I wouldn't be able to get my regular driver's license until my DUI School program is complete, which is 9 months. Is that correct, that it's for 9 months instead of 5 months? It was a first offense.

Q2:
Part of the DUI School requires that I have to attend 25 AA meetings. Since this is part of the program, am I allowed to drive to and from AA meetings on the restricted license?

Q3:
Is it okay to stop by a grocery store for food on the way to and from work activities?

Q4:
I am a freelance consultant, so is it okay for me to drive to and from meetings with clients and/or potential clients and to visit businesses to inquire about work or job interviews?

CdwJava

But the lady at the DMV office told me I wouldn't be able to get my regular driver's license until my DUI School program is complete, which is 9 months. Is that correct, that it's for 9 months instead of 5 months? It was a first offense.
Correct. You are suspended for 5 months, but cannot qualify for reinstatement until the classes are done.

Part of the DUI School requires that I have to attend 25 AA meetings. Since this is part of the program, am I allowed to drive to and from AA meetings on the restricted license?
It does not appear to be permitted per the letter of the CVC.

Is it okay to stop by a grocery store for food on the way to and from work activities?
Arguably, you might still be on your way to and from work.

I am a freelance consultant, so is it okay for me to drive to and from meetings with clients and/or potential clients and to visit businesses to inquire about work or job interviews?
The section says it permits travel to and from your place of employment, not a potential place of employment. But, provided you can show that the meeting was with a client (billing records, etc.) you should be okay.

nightwater

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Q1:
I got a DUI in California and have a restricted driver license. My lawyer said my suspension was only supposed to be for 5 months, and the first paperwork I got from the DMV showed this time to be up in May of this year, which would be the 5 months. But the lady at the DMV office told me I wouldn't be able to get my regular driver's license until my DUI School program is complete, which is 9 months. Is that correct, that it's for 9 months instead of 5 months? It was a first offense.

Q2:

Q3:

Q4:
Why did you get such a gnarly punishment for the first time offense? was it a refusal? How did you find a lawyer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">