• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In quite a bind at the moment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KurtS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico.

I moved from Virginia to New Mexico last summer simply because I had difficulty finding good work in Virginia, but I had landed a decent job in Hobbs, New Mexico, so I took a chance and moved out here.

While traveling due to work related issues, with my at the time boss, driving my bosses vehicle, about 8 hours away from Hobbs, in Socorro, I made a mistake and got pulled over and recieved a DWI charge, in early August of last year.

Now the number one problem that has stemmed fromt his event is the fact that I have no reliable transportation because my liscense is of course suspended, I've already missed 3 pre-trials which resulted in continuations, the last time I missed my court date I had to pay a fee to clear a bench warrant. Now I have my next court date on the 11th of February, Wednesday of next week. Once again I cannot find reliable transportation, my roommates father sold my roommates jeep while he was away on vacation to fill his pocket for his own matters, my roommate only has a company vehicle (with a tracking device installed) so I simply cannot rely on him, once again.

Now I would take the chance myself and drive out there, but my vehicle is 20 years old and giving me a lot of trouble lately. There is no Greyhound bus station there. My funds have dwindled and I cannot afford to pay for a hotel anyway. I would simply sleep in my car if I could transport myself.

Hobbs is an oil field town, and with oil prices dropping the job market here offers next to nothing. I can't pay my portion of the rent this month and my roommate will understandably be unhappy. I also happen to live 10 miles out of town, so the option of simply walking to work is out of the question.

Now I am faced with quite a predicament. I can either hope that my vehicle can make it to Socorro and back next week and arrive for my pre-trial. Now the second option that I am contemplating isn't something I'm completely happy with but it may be the better alternative. Which is selling my car and going back home to Virginia, missing my court date once again, and I would guess eventually having a nationwide warrant issued for my arrest.

I've already called my lawyer (public appointed) and asked if there is anyway the judge can setup transportation, perhaps with the local police department. She insists the only way this can happen would be to basically turn myself in after the next warrant is issued. Jail time isn't something I'm happy with, I am not a criminal and I have a clean record (28 years old) up until a few months ago. She tells me once my punishment is decided I'll face probation, including various classes that I will have to finance and attend. No jail time.

Now in summary I have no reliable transportation, a couple hundred dollars in the bank, and a court date next week. Isn't there any way at all this can be transferred to Virginia, or perhaps even Hobbs?

What are the reprecussions if I would happen to leave the state in order to get my employment back in order and live close to family again?

Have any of you ever experienced a predicament similiar to mine with one of your clients? If so what did you have them do?

I feel that I am in a very difficult situation here and like I said any advice would be greatly appreciated. To leave or not to leave?

FlyingRon

You will not get the trial moved for your convenience and certainly NOT out of state. I'd see if you can find a clunker bike to cover the ten miles, it's the means of transportation for those ineligible or unable to afford transportation here in Northern Virginia. I'd recommend selling the car anyway. You're not going to be able to legally drive soon (if your license hasn't already been pulled). Take the money to Greyhound or hitch to your court date. See if your lawyer or the court has any ideas as to what inexpensive (YMCA, cheap motels, SRO's) are available in the vicinity of the court.

KurtS

Unfortunately there are no buses that run through the town. Or else I would have made it there for one of my earlier court dates. I have no family in this state and 1 friend, which is my unreliable roommate.

BigMistakeFl

Keep trying

Unfortunately you will have to find a way, even if you have to walk. As Ron said, get a bike if you have to. The court will not care what excuse you use, if you don't show, you will have a warrant issued for your arrest. The warrant and this issue, will not go away for you, ever.

Since it is just a pre trial, get to your court date. You have a car and would be wise to find someone with a license to go for the ride.
Do not personnally drive up to the court house parking lot.

KurtS

I've just thought of something.
I could take the risk of simply moving out there, to Socorro. Then I wouldn't miss anymore court dates. If I could somehow find a cheap bicycle I could use that for inter-town transportation once I arrived, being sure not to drive my vehicle at all.

The only thing is, with only a couple hundred dollars, I'd be looking at staying a hotel for only a few days max. I'd have to hope to god that some place in that town is looking for some extra help. I consider myself an above average person on a hirability level, it's just a matter of time before i'm sleeping in my car which woln't even start because I can't afford gas.

Worth the risk?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">