• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A real mess

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bad-day0107

What is the name of your state? NC & IL

I work in NC but live in IL and was arrested on a DUI & no license in NC in Jan 07. I blew 0.13 and was taped (I saw the film and it was not pretty). Went to court in Aug and was convicted of DWI while license charge was dismissed. Had to do community service (completed that immediately) and attend ADET (Alcohol & Drug classes which is scheduled but not completed so far). Received a restricted driving privelige (RDP) from NC so I can get to work and get around.

Now comes the problem, IL (my state of residence) sent letters demanding: 1) My license as they are suspending / revoking my driving priveliges in IL due to the conviction in NC, 2) All license plates with my name on the registration as those plates are suspended / revoked.

I removed my name from the titles and registration (now wife's name only) - Are those plates now legal OR do I have to completely re-title and buy new plates?

My NC RDP is based on my IL license which is now suspended/revoked which I assume means I can't drive legally in any state as my IL license is now suspended/revoked. I think I am right in that I am now illegal behind the wheel. Comments??

The IL letters state I can attend court and request a restricted driving license and I am planning on retaining a lawyer for that ASAP.

moburkes

CAll them to see if the transfer is okay. But, no, you are not allowed to drive legally in ANY state. I'm not sure whyyou thought otherwise. it just takes some time for the communication between the 2 states to occur.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">