• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Refuse to take breathalyzer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikebox

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Hello,

I was wondering what would happen if I refused to take a breathalyzer. Can they force a breathalyzer on you?

mikebox

They can have a judge issue a warrant for a blood draw.
By the time this happens though couldn't the alcohol be out of your system, and if it is still in your system, how could they prove it wasn't from before you were driving?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
By the time this happens though couldn't the alcohol be out of your system, and if it is still in your system, how could they prove it wasn't from before you were driving?
1) I bet it happens pretty darn quickly
2) Your refusal *could* act as an admission on your part.

CdwJava

Unless Maryland has a state law to the contrary (and I doubt it does) or the agency involved has a policy against it, then under federal case law the police can force blood from a person in order to preserve the evidence. If you refuse the mandatory chemical test after an arrest for DUI you will get a license suspension. Then, the police can have the blood drawn anyway and then you get prosecuted AND your license gets suspended.

- Carl

paguy88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD

Hello,

I was wondering what would happen if I refused to take a breathalyzer. Can they force a breathalyzer on you?
what brethalyzer would you be speaking of refusing?

the hand held device at road side? that is not required to the best of my knowledge in any state to take. that is only part of the FST. many think you have to do this but you don't

the mechine "at the police station" this one you do. or suffer scantions from the DMV. and used against you in court.

Yertle8

If you refuse any chemical test in PA you will lose your license for a year. This includes the roadside one.

paguy88

If you refuse any chemical test in PA you will lose your license for a year. This includes the roadside one.
again stop spreading fails info.

that is 100% NOT TRUE..

you DO NOT have to do the road side breath test in PA or for that matter any state to the best of my knowlege.

paguy88

Not that it matters, since our OP is in MD
this is true... :p

again I am not aware of any state that you are required to take the road side breth test.. I could be wrong, as I researched this 2 years ago and found none.. but I know for a fact since the OP said PA.. we are NOT required.

Yertle8

PA Act 24 of 2003 states repeatedly that PennDOT shall suspend the license of any driver who refuses a chemical test when requested. The type of chemical test is never stated. Why someone would think that infers that you can refuse a test because it is on the side of the road and not in a building is beyond me. It says that nowhere, and police generally make suspected DUI drivers aware of the law before the roadside test because if they refuse they are losing their license for a year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">