• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restitution modification.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThEditor

This might be the wrong forum but I wasn't sure exactly.

Long story short got DUI's, did jail time, back out and everything is great. My last DUI I rear ended a guy.

So I'm in Pennsylvania and apparently the way it works here is that your fines/restitution are part of a civil case against you. I have let's say 15k right now that I am legally obligated to pay.

While I was incarcerated we settled with the insurance company. They are paid and happy. I have the paperwork from them that's states that my obligation is done. Yet that amount has not been subtracted from my criminal restitution so I am essentially paying twice.

I called the clerk of courts and I was told that I cannot just fax them the information I have to file a motion to modify my restitution. ( I think that is what she said, not the most helpful of people. )

Can someone point me to an example of this.. I'd prefer to not pay someone to do what seems quite simple.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
Bruce

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">