• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Right to a speedy trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcanimllvr

I recieved a second dui last July. I did not hear a thing until this January. I do not go to the magestrate until March. Has my right to a speedy trial been compromised?

CdwJava

I recieved a second dui last July. I did not hear a thing until this January. I do not go to the magestrate until March. Has my right to a speedy trial been compromised?
Is the March hearing your first hearing on the matter? In other words, is that your initial arraignment?

Speedy trial rights generally attach from the time of arraignment unless you waive time.

kcanimllvr

Yes, this will be my first time going to court (arraignment).
isnt that supposed to happen within 90 of the arrest?
I am just going in front of the Magastrate in march.

CdwJava

Yes, this will be my first time going to court (arraignment).
isnt that supposed to happen within 90 of the arrest?
I am just going in front of the Magastrate in march.
The state has a certain amount of time from the discovery of the crime to the commencement of court proceedings. It appears that PA has 2 years to commence proceedings against you.

Consult legal counsel to assist in your defense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">