• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rules for Restricted License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tbud333

What is the name of your state? California
Can anyone tell me where to find the rules that must be followed when driving on a restricted license?
I understand that it only to drive to and from work and to and from DUI classes but,
For example: Are you allowed to have others in the car with you? what if you also have an evening job in a band and you need to drive to band practice or to a show, does that count? Does the resticted license say WHERE you are supposed to be going to and from and during what hours? Are you allowed to drive to see your lawyer or to the DMV when needed? What about driving to the bank to get money to put gas in your car to get to work and DUI class? If you get pulled over while driving on a restricted license how might you prove you are within the rules?
Thanks for any input.

seniorjudge

Q: Can anyone tell me where to find the rules that must be followed when driving on a restricted license?

A: Yes; ask the folks who gave you the restricted license.

tbud333

I don't have a restricted license. My son needs one but hasn't applied for it yet. I just wanted to know as a parent, if there is a "Rule Book" out there answering my questions.
I was told that if he just bites the bullet and goes with the suspended license for 4 months he is done with the suspention. If he applies for a restricted license he will have to keep it for 6 months. Just want to know it it is worth it to apply and have 2 more months added.

fairisfair

If you have a non-commercial driver license and you show proof of enrollment in a DUI treatment program, file proof of financial responsibility and pay (on or after January 1, 2003) a $125 reissue fee after a mandatory 30-day suspension, you may request a restricted license to drive to and from the DUI treatment program and/or to, from, and during work. The reissue fee remains at $100 if you were under age 21 and were suspended under the Zero Tolerance Law pursuant to Vehicle Code §§23136, 13353.1, 13388, 13392.

you might call the CA Motor Vehicle Dept. to gain more information.

Watch for info from CDWJava, he is a CA police officer that frequents the forum, he may answer your questions.

garrula lingua

The restriction is tightly enforced.

That person must be able to show employment (time cards), a W-2 from that employer, or other irrefutable proof as to travel to work/DUI class.

At trial, the burden is on that defendant to prove he was within the restriction.

The restriction is easy to understand:
WORK (which can be proven by cancelled paychecks, a W-2, etc), (forget about the band crap - it won't work at trial (unless he's Sprinsteen, it's a hobby)); and DUI classes (easily provable).

If he's stopping for gas, it would be on the way to work or class, so no problem.

Any other jaunt in the car, and he's probably looking at 30 days county jail for the probation violation, and additional suspended DL time.

slofordtech

good information on this answered alot of my questions thanks.
i have one more question though. if on a restricted license can i move to new jersey for work and drive to and in that state? im hopeing to recieve an application for a restricted license for being a repeat dui offender per the new california law SB598. (which allows multiple offenders to recieve a restricted license after serving 90 days of the suspension with enroll ment of the dui program and installation of an iid device.)
I want to move to new jersey for an employment oppertunity. i realize new jersey does not issue restricted licenses, but since i will have an address in california while i move can i drive to new jersey and can i drive in the state to work and dui classes that are transferrable to the cali dui program and the court.?? i hope that makes sense, basically can i drive to and in a different state for work on a restricted license.. thank you for any information.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
good information on this answered alot of my questions thanks.
i have one more question though. if on a restricted license can i move to new jersey for work and drive to and in that state? im hopeing to recieve an application for a restricted license for being a repeat dui offender per the new california law SB598. (which allows multiple offenders to recieve a restricted license after serving 90 days of the suspension with enroll ment of the dui program and installation of an iid device.)
I want to move to new jersey for an employment oppertunity. i realize new jersey does not issue restricted licenses, but since i will have an address in california while i move can i drive to new jersey and can i drive in the state to work and dui classes that are transferrable to the cali dui program and the court.?? i hope that makes sense, basically can i drive to and in a different state for work on a restricted license.. thank you for any information.
You need to start your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">