• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SCRAM Tether - General Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JOliver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

These are general questions I have since debating the effectiveness of the SCRAM device for those that have an alcohol issue.

As for the unit itself with todays technology does a client HAVE to use a modem to transfer data to the SCRAM computers? I'm under the impression that it uses a modem to transfer the data via a phone line hardlined to a customers house, correct?

The reason I bring that up is in the debate I had, the other person said a SCRAM tether can utilize a cell phone now with todays technology, however nothing on-line I've read supports that. I did come across a link to the Washtenaw County Trial Court located here in Ann Arbor, Michigan that supports the landline modem - no mention of a cell phone.
WASHTENAW COUNTY TRIAL COURT - Tether

Also, does a SCRAM tether have built-in GPS or does that require a separate device to be carried by the person on the device?

Would it be illegal by the tether company to also track said person on a SCRAM unit when GPS isn't part of the condition of a sentence?

Just a few issues that we debated that I cant find information on the 'web for.

FlyingRon

Did you bother to look on the SCRAM company's own website? Cripes.
This isn't a legal question and the answers are there I suspect, if not, the contact information probably will answer your questions.

If you've got SCRAM as a condition of probation, I suspect you will have to get a phone that you can plug their modem in. This practically means some land line. While it's possible to get RJ-11 connection for cellphones, I wouldn't bank on it.

There appears to be no location monitoring feature in SCRAM so I'm not sure why it would contain a GPS.

www.alcoholmonitoring.com

JOliver

FlyingRon - I absolutely did look it on the companies own web-site, which is why I was certain it was not a SCRAM tether.

This debate came up in class.

It seems that the other point of view being presented was, while on SCRAM a cell phone can be used and also has GPS. It turns out it's H.A.S. or (House Arrest Solution) that's being used.
http://www.michigantetheronline.com/has_house_arrest.htm

It does alcohol monitoring AND has GPS. So, this leads me to another point: If somebody is sentanced to the Scram Tether and is placed on a HAS unit and GPS tracking is not part of sentencing terms....somethings obviously not right.

I wonder what recourse a person could use, especially if more companies are using this as a means to substitue a SCRAM device.

Personally (and I'm sure others may feel the same way) if you're sentenced to a SCRAM bracelet with no GPS and the company you go through puts you on a H.A.S. unit and knows your every move that would concern me. Furthermore, if you're not sentenced to House Arrest - what does the court/company have any right knowing your whereabouts 24/7 as the product states.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

We don't do school work.

As for the next question, it depends what the judge specifically orders and what is at the discretion of the probation department. Frequently the orders from the court to the probation department are fairly broad, so the probation department is free to give a more or less restrictive unit as long as it is compliant with the orders. Violations can almost always be counted on to make the terms more restrictive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">