• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

second DUI.. (michigan) Please help me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlorp2654

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am currently struggling with my second OWI.

I actually had my 1st OWI(which is same as DUI nowadays,..) in 2 years and i was pulled over couple of months ago.
My BAC was, first one was refused, and i got 0.20 for the second time, and .21 for the third time.

I went to pre-trial last week and my lawyer and prosecutor came with a OWVI and my open intox was dismissed. However, I still might have to do 2 weekends in jail.

I am still trying to win this case if i can.. there was a small mistake with the data base machine and my lawyer was asking me whether i want to go to trial or not.

I can't really afford to lose my license for a year and thinking about going to jail scares the heck out of me.

I know i made a huge mistake and i am suffering from it. Lesson is completely learned.

So my questions is to you guys, should i go to trial or just accept what they offered me?

I heard if i go to trial and lose, the judge is going to punish harder.
If i can gurantee that i won't get any harsh sentence, then i want to go to trial. I just want to try everything that i can possibly do. But i am still afraid of getting more harsh sentence.

My lawyer said there will be small possibilities but it will be very difficult. And he is not giving me a solid answer whether i should go to trial or not. And he just want me to make a decision. but i don't know what to do.

I have been going to AA meetings and doing the councelling.

Please help me out and give me some advice whether i should go to trial or not.
I heard some people had some luck that their cases got dismissed or reduced to reckless driving.

I am actually in East lansing area and i heard judges here are a little bit more strict since there are so many DUI cases.

Please help me out. I need to let him know by tomorrow.

Thanks very much!

FlyingRon

It would be highly unlikely that you aren't going to be parked for a while. At the best 30 days before you can even get a restricted license. On the other side, kiss you license goodbye (no restricted no nothing) for up to two years.

Plea bargaining isn't usually a DIY thing. What does your lawyer say about all this.

.20 is substantially intoxicated (and I suspect you were actually worse when you were actually driving). You
haven't even BEGUN to suffer for this. The trauma of being arrested and having a criminal proceeding hanging
over you isn't enough...and it obviously wasn't enough based on your recidivism.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">