• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sleeping DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustAPal00

EM,

Whoops!!! You are right!! I was looking at CA cases and I opened this thread. I didn't shift gears. However, you made an EXCELLENT post above. And your comment about moral judgement is spot on. You are the kind of person that makes a site like this work.
I know, I love all the moral advice on here. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone!

JIMinCA

Kind of reminds me of a line in a movie I watched the other night.

"if the run, they're VC.".."if they stand still, they're well disciplined VC!"
Excellent analogy... By the way, I love that movie!!!

"how do you do it?? shoot women and children?"
"easy... you just don't lead 'em as much!!"

enjoimx

It annoys me how all you "Senior Members" of this site jump so easily to recommend AA. Do you folks even realize what AA is for? People go there to stop drinking alcohol, and it is only successful for people who WANT to stop of their own accord. So just because this guy blacked out one night and got a DUI, he may not want to stop drinking, and he may not even drink that much at all, and therefore AA isnt necessarily the best option for him. Have you guys ever even been to an AA class? I have and know that the whole point is support for people who WANT to stop drinking. You cannot stop drinking until you admit you have a problem, and if he doesnt admit he has a problem, two scenarios are possible: HE DOESNT HAVE A PROBLEM, or he is in denial. Dont automatically assume its denial. According to him, he doesnt have a problem.

Just because he broke a LAW, doesnt mean he is an alcoholic. If there is a pattern of abuse, it is possible for others to make a diagnosis of "Alcoholism," but one law broken is not a "Pattern of abuse"

JIMinCA

It annoys me how all you "Senior Members" of this site jump so easily to recommend AA. Do you folks even realize what AA is for? People go there to stop drinking alcohol, and it is only successful for people who WANT to stop of their own accord. So just because this guy blacked out one night and got a DUI, he may not want to stop drinking, and he may not even drink that much at all, and therefore AA isnt necessarily the best option for him. Have you guys ever even been to an AA class? I have and know that the whole point is support for people who WANT to stop drinking. You cannot stop drinking until you admit you have a problem, and if he doesnt admit he has a problem, two scenarios are possible: HE DOESNT HAVE A PROBLEM, or he is in denial. Dont automatically assume its denial. According to him, he doesnt have a problem.

Just because he broke a LAW, doesnt mean he is an alcoholic. If there is a pattern of abuse, it is possible for others to make a diagnosis of "Alcoholism," but one law broken is not a "Pattern of abuse"
I share your frustration in that the "senior members" are more apt to be judgemental rather than helpful. But,while you are being frustrated by that same quick judgement, you did the same thing in assuming that the OP was guilty of violating the law. I think it is inappropriate that people here do anything other than actually help the OPs with the problems for which they are seeking help.

cyjeff

I share your frustration in that the "senior members" are more apt to be judgemental rather than helpful. But,while you are being frustrated by that same quick judgement, you did the same thing in assuming that the OP was guilty of violating the law. I think it is inappropriate that people here do anything other than actually help the OPs with the problems for which they are seeking help.
So, in your judgement, the board is overly judgmental?

Isis1

i don't recommend AA to stop drinking. i recommend AA to open and educate. if you CAN manage to stop drinking, then that's great. if you WANT to stop drinking, then that's wonderful. it's to take yourself apart, veiw it. know people who have been affected with the effects and make the choice to either stop, or continue responsibly.

i went. now, i drink responsibly. i stay at home. or a take a taxi. it's straightened out my choices. all in all, it was a very humbling experience. it only helps, not hurts.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

It annoys me how all you "Senior Members" of this site jump so easily to recommend AA.
Actually, I don't recommend AA. I believe that AA has serious problems and it is generally not effective. BUT...
Actually "breaking a law" has little to do with alcoholism. It's drinking to a point where it interferes with your life. Waking up passed out in a running car, still intoxicated, with the police hauling your ass off to jail for DUI meets that that "interference" test.

Krimson

you can be charged with a dui in P.A, if you're sleeping in a car with the keys in your pocket and you're in the back seat! I was told this information while taking a class lead by Penndot, what they suggest you should do if you find yourself in this type of situation is (and I know this sounds dumb) lock the keys in your trunk! This way if the cops show up they cant say you had intent and were in control of the vehicle. Having said this does'nt mean that you don't have a defense, you can always try and fight it! Goodluck

JIMinCA

Yes, this site is WAY too judgemental. That much is obvious. It seems that people can't stop talking about AA as if that is even an issue. The OP came here looking for help with a DUI... not help with any alcohol problems that may or may not exist. You guys may as well be talking about how to treat a broken leg... it has about as much relevance to this thread as all the AA garbage.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, this site is WAY too judgemental. That much is obvious. It seems that people can't stop talking about AA as if that is even an issue. The OP came here looking for help with a DUI... not help with any alcohol problems that may or may not exist. You guys may as well be talking about how to treat a broken leg... it has about as much relevance to this thread as all the AA garbage.
EXCELLENT advice Jim - I'm SURE it will help our OP.

Badbrains

Sort of off topic, but I had a situation I was involved in but resulted in no DUI thank god. I went to a club with some friends to listen to some live music, and enjoy a birthday party. I had 4 shots over an 2 hour time frame, but then stopped drinking because I don't like to get drunk, just wanted a buzz. Out of nowwhere, I suddenly became extremely ill and felt so drunk that could barely walk. I left the club and tried to walk it off, but could not sober up and could barely speak or walk. I somehow made it back to my car just wanting to relax and listen to music with no intent to drive, but my head was going to explode, and was trying not to vomit, and wanted a calm place to ease my senses. I put the keys in the ignition and kicked the seat back to relax listening to music, and next thing I know it is the next morning in a vacant parking lot with vomit outside the car and no memory of what happened all night. I think someone poisoned my drink, I don't know ruffies or something because I have never felt that way before in all my life. Had I been busted for a sleeping DUI do blood tests look for substances that could interfere with a normal person who is not over the legal limit. I realized this is a hypothetical, but really I think I was drugged and had I been caught would it have been an automatic DUI if they found even traces of alchohol in my system.

Krimson

blood tests

If they do a blood draw, they test for everything. It is commonly referred to as a chemical test.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">