• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

so close yet so far driving while suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brooke0527

What is the name of your state? new jersey
here is my dilemma......about 4 yrs ago my mother died and i just took a leap off a cliff....recieved 2 dui with a year or so after and now coming to the end of 2 yr loss....did all my 180 community service, remorgaged the house paid the dmv of nj in full and paid for a copy of my release lien.....my license is due back dec 7th.....on oct 12 ran 4 blocks up road to roadside stand to get mums for an open house before my girlfriend was coming to pick me up to clean the house and for her to drive....a block up my road is a 4way...as soon as i came to a stop on one side a trooper came to a stop right across from me....we both looked both ways then i proceeded across....i watched as he just stayed at the light went up a ways and noticed he was behind me....pulled into market and was so nervous even called my husband who works on the road (away)..he said relax and just go back home....got my stuff and when i went to pull out there were no cars.....pulled out and once i looked in rearview mirror saw the trooper coming out from a side road or driveway and proceed to follow me...got back to my driveway and thats when he threw the lights...ok....gave him my stuff i.e. license, insurance etc...and stated that i am driving on a suspended and he stated that he knew and then proceeded to ask me if i was even in my own driveway....stated yes new address on back of license..long story short he gave me ticket for driving while suspended for dui.....was crying my eyes out and told him how close i was and did all my stuff.......my question is court is nov 7th 30 days before reinstallation....do i just go to court without rep and plead my case or do i get an attorney because someone stated i was profiled and what other reason did he have to pull me over. he even asked if i was in my own driveway.....and why didnt he just pull me over sooner.. im thinking if i need a lawyer wait until intial court date and maybe get it postponed then go get a lawyer and get it postponed again so i possibly could get my license on dec 7th and start being a productive person again...the trooper was like you need to go to work? i havent had a job in 2 years due to my negliegence.....or am i going to jail for violation....please help...
brooke

seniorjudge

Get a lawyer.

I don't know how you could beat it since you admitted you were driving while suspended.

But, hey, I thought OJ was guilty.

mycarlb

You were driving... what makes it worse is that you very easily could have walked "4 blocks" to that stand... you weren't going to a hospital for an emergency or anything... you wanted flowers... no judge is going to lend a simpathetic ear to an excuse such as that. I am not trying to be mean, but I am preparing you for what you are about to hear when you go to court. You have waited 2 years for this and decided flowers were much more important than your driving privileges.

I don't think they are going to put you in jail, but don't expect to get your licence back either. You can hire a lawyer if you want, but I can't see forking over that much money when you were clearly breaking the law. There was no profiling. Do you actually think that trooper was parked with binoculars just waiting for you to drive? I doubt that.

Most likely what will happen is that you will have to pay more fines, and perhaps wait another year or so to get your licence back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">