• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone just took down my plate a reported me for "being drunk."

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

merriled

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I just drove to the store and heard someone yelling behind me. I didn't really think anything of it, but when I came out and got back on the road, it turns out he waited for me and proceeded to yell profanities at me. Apparently, I "didn't go on a green light." I'm not sure exactly what that means...if he was implying that I delayed or what, but have not drank anything whatsoever, was not texting, and really didn't realize that I did anything wrong. It's possible I may have zoned out and I say that only because I'll assume the guy had a reason to be angry and wasn't crazy and I've also been having a REALLY bad day. Anyway, I'm home now, but I'm wondering what exactly I have to worry about now? Sure, it's hearsay, but should I expect to get pulled over/hassled now just because, "he's probably drunk?" How does something like this work?

Last edited by a moderator:

FlyingRon

Ignore it. It's real easy to yell at someone in the heat of the moment. It takes a little more effort to contact the police and even more to convince them after the fact that there's anything to investigate.
If you weren't intercepted by police in short order, it's not going to happen. They're observation that you were asleep at the traffic light isn't going to even be acceptable as probable cause for charges.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I just drove to the store and heard someone yelling behind me. I didn't really think anything of it, but when I came out and got back on the road, it turns out he waited for me and proceeded to yell profanities at me. Apparently, I "didn't go on a green light." I'm not sure exactly what that means...if he was implying that I delayed or what, but have not drank anything whatsoever, was not texting, and really didn't realize that I did anything wrong. It's possible I may have zoned out and I say that only because I'll assume the guy had a reason to be angry and wasn't crazy and I've also been having a REALLY bad day. Anyway, I'm home now, but I'm wondering what exactly I have to worry about now? Sure, it's hearsay, but should I expect to get pulled over/hassled now just because, "he's probably drunk?" How does something like this work?
I wish you had thought of a better title for your thread, merriled. The profanity, with or without asterisks, was not really necessary.

Depending on the facts, if your license plate number was taken down and you were reported to the police, the police might investigate the report but, unless there is some supporting evidence that you did something illegal (e.g., if you "zoned out" and hit a car or ran over a mailbox or something), there is little likelihood anything will come from the report.

I agree with FlyingRon that more people will express their frustrations with drivers by yelling at them and threatening to report them to the police, than will actually take the time to report them to police.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">