• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son Busted For Underage Drinking In Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ml4lsu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

My son (age 19) was visiting friends at Kennesaw State University in Marietta, Georgia. He and 4 friends were driving home from a party about 1 a.m. when a cop pulled them over because the driver (female) was not wearing a seatbelt (how he could tell at that time I'll never know). The officer asked if she had been drinking and she said she had a couple of drinks earlier. He then gave her a breath test, which she passed. He then cited her with underage drinking.

He then asked my son and his other 3 friends if they had been drinking. He said that if they told him they had not been drinking, he would give them the breathalyzer test and if they failed he was going to put them (whoever flunked) in jail. So they all admitted drinking, and they all were cited with underage drinking. This was all in the police report that I obtained.

My question is, just how serious of an offense is this in Georgia and is it worth the expense to hire lawyer? He has a court date on March 17, and they told him he has to be in Marietta for it (he lives in Baton Rouge).

One of the friends already had his court date and he pleaded guilty. The judge sentenced him to 24 hours of community service (which he can serve here in Baton Rouge), go to an alcohol counseling session, and submit to 3 drug tests before he reports back to the judge in May. This seems pretty harsh for a 19 year old who was just riding in the back seat.

My son said he just wants to plead guilty and get it over with, but I am concerned whether this would be the wisest choice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">