• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Soon to be teacher...DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SnowedIn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Hello. I am in college and am about to start my student teaching as a history major. This is my last leg of education before I graduate and get my degree and apply for my Initial Teacher Certification. Over this last Winter I was charged with a DUI. I blew a .14 and my license was suspended for 90 days. I am a little nervous about whether or not this charge will hurt me when it comes to getting a job as a teacher. Does anyone know if there are any consequences for this type of thing when it comes to teaching jobs? I appreciate any advice. Thank you.

paguy88

Hello. I am in college and am about to start my student teaching as a history major. This is my last leg of education before I graduate and get my degree and apply for my Initial Teacher Certification. Over this last Winter I was charged with a DUI. I blew a .14 and my license was suspended for 90 days. I am a little nervous about whether or not this charge will hurt me when it comes to getting a job as a teacher. Does anyone know if there are any consequences for this type of thing when it comes to teaching jobs? I appreciate any advice. Thank you.
well all I can say is in my state a first time dui can get a expungment under certin situations and people make a bog deal about getting the expungment if you are going to work around kids.

I have no idea how your school district will view it, it is for sure not a gold star a convition show a lack of being responible to put things lightly. They are going to do a back ground check and if CT is anything like PA you will get finger printed so it is going to show up. You may end up looking for a new career from what others say.

Best of luck and hope you learned from all this

Last edited:

cyjeff

well all I can say is in my state a first time dui can get a expungment under certin situations and people make a bog deal about getting the expungment if you are going to work around kids.

I have no idea how your school district will view it, it is for sure not a gold star a convition show a lack of being responible to put things lightly. They are going to do a back ground check and if CT is anything like PA you will get finger printed so it is going to show up. You may end up looking for a new career from what others say.

Best of luck and hope you learned from all this
Please tell me you are not a teacher.

Did you participate in the diversion program available to CT first offenders? If so and you completed it then the charge was dismissed. You can go to the municipal building and get a copy of the final disposition. If CT is like NJ and has all applicants fingerprinted, it will come up anyway. My advice is to contact a certification consultant at the Ct Dept of Education. There might be some hoops to jump through to get certified.

SnowedIn

Anymore Advice?

Where can this really hurt me?
Getting hired?
Getting my certification?
Will the schools I apply to really know that I had this charge?
Thanks a lot...
Am I screwed?

Where can this really hurt me?
Getting hired?
Getting my certification?
Will the schools I apply to really know that I had this charge?
Thanks a lot...
Am I screwed?
All good questions to ask a certification associate at the CT Board of Ed. There you will likely get your most reliable answers. There will maybe be some extra hoops to jump through for certification - I can only speculate as to what. Whatever you do, don't lie and say you've never been arrested. That said, obviously don't report it unless specifically asked.

As to whether or not you're screwed, first, I assume that you learned from the criminal experience. Second, I assume that you are not a problem drinker or, if you are one, then you are taking responsibility for it and addressing it head on. Assuming that, you need to put a good spin on this. If a good "spin" could work for George Bush & Dick Cheney's DUIs, it can work for anyone.

I guess schools pull a background check from the state. Get a copy of your case's final disposition. It might say "dismissed" if you were in the diversion program. Also request a criminal history report from the state for yourself. See what it says and go from there. If this incident was a one time thing, and there were no aggravating factors, then you should be ok.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">