• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket after DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kameenaa

What is the name of your state?
Maryland

I received a Drive/attempt to drive while impaired by alcohol with conviction daye of 1-4-06 resulting in 8 points on my driving record (no points prior to this conviction)

I received a speeding ticket yesterday (1-06-08) which is in excess of 30 mph over the posted limit and carries 5 points and $297 in fines.

Can someone please tell me what the result of this conviction is going to be? In MD, the driving license is suspended at 8 points, but when i went to the MVA hearing last year, they did not suspend my license; i was allowed to drive to and from work till the restriction was removed. i currently have an unrestricted license.

How long does the DUI stay on my record ?
Do I need to get a lawyer (I certainly can't afford one)
Will my license be suspended?
Is there still possibility of me getting restricted license for to and from work ?

Any help would be appreciated.

FlyingRon

As far as suspensions go, the time period is two years prior to the later offense. You hence have 13 points in that period. That's not a suspension, that was a revocation. You were officially warned about this after your DUI, but I guess you forgot.

You've got 15 days to respond to this.
Here's the DMV's page on the subject

http://mva.state.md.us/AboutMVA/INFO/26100-02T.htm

kameenaa

1. how do i have 15 days when i dont even have a court date yet, let alone a letter for revocation?

2. the points accumulated only count within 2 years, since the violations dates are 2 years apart, the first 8 points are not considered to be accumulated.

FlyingRon

Yeah you're right, you squeeked through by a few weeks. Missed the fact that the later date was 2 days after the two years (and it wasn't the date of conviction). Yes it's 15 days from the notice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">