• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket after DUI question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zumbigod

What is the name of your state? IL, Cook County

I received a DUI (1st time offender) back in July 2006. I went to court and got a lawyer, got everything taken care of. I took classes, went to a Victim Impact Panel, Passed a drug test at court, and paid fines.
I was supposed to have a 6 month suspension and it got knocked down to 3 months. Needless to say, I received my license back in Jan of 2007. For the life of me, I do not recall the courts telling me that I had any sort of supervision or probation post my visit to court in January.

I received two tickets on Oct 12, 2007. I got Speeding : 50mph in a 35mph, and I got improper lane usage. I was a little tipsy, but the cop did not make me perform any sobriety tests or give me a Breathalyzer. He just gave me those 2 tickets and made me call someone to pick me up and gave him my keys and made me leave the car there until the next day. No problems, no impounding or towing, but he did take my license and the ticket says I HAVE to appear in court. Court is November 16, 2007...three days from now :(

My question is, will my license get suspended?? I am considering a lawyer, but have not locked in that decision yet. From what I understand, I am NOT under supervision or probation(unless that is mandatory after a DUI, but I don't have any probation officers to report to, nor have I ever). That means, technically, when I go to court and plead guilty, I will just get fines, pay them and be on my way with a license, right? Or, if the cop does not show, then the case gets thrown out if I understand correctly? My main concern is to just get my license back. I am trying to justify the reason to bring a lawyer, the only one i think of is the fact that there is a previous conviction on my record and that might hold weight. BUT, the tickets dont prove anything in terms of having alcohol in my system (no 2nd dui), so what does that mean??? ANY HELP is appreciated!! I dont have much time, hopefully someone can give some helpful advice! thanks!!

mike_lee

Sounds to me like you caught a big break you didn't deserve. If you're already driving under the influence again it's just a matter of time before you get that second and third DUI

I imagine you'll just have to pay the ticket and there will be no mention of DUI

I'm not a lawyer.

zumbigod

thanks. I most definetely learned my lesson. I cannot afford another dui. i guess what im concerned about is whether or not they can suspend it. its not like the cop will say, "i feel like adding a dui onto the existing charges" i know for sure he cannot do that. Still bring a lawyer?? i cant decide, i dont want to pay upwards of 300 dollars for someone to do something i can do? does that make sense?

zumbigod

UPDATE:::
well, I went ahead and locked in a lawyer just because I didnt want to chance the fact that something might go wrong. I just hope the judge is in a good mood. I got a DUI lawyer seeing that the situation merits one with my previous conviction. Here's hoping! wish me luck! any suggestions would still be appreciated though! thank you

zumbigod

So here we are about a month after court, and I got my license back. I ended getting charged with 55 dollar fine and court supervision. That was way too stressful to deal with, Im never taking that chance again. My lawyer was fantastic, he and the prosecutor just made an agreement before they called me up there. I was told to stay quiet unless asked any questions, i did so. The judge asked if there were any prior convictions on my record, and the lawyer responded no saying that these two were my only offenses! i thought for sure the dui would be mentioned! either way, i am very grateful. it looks like it got treated as a standard ticket. I just wonder how long the court supervision is supposed to last. i think i remember it being around 3 months>? any input on that one?
Thanks for all your help everyone.

pie8ter1

You're really lucky! I am surprised the policy officer who took your license didn't ask you for breath analyzer or blood test. This is unheard of!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">