• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SR-22 and DMV record error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tristansmommy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I believe the DMV has made an error in determining for how much longer I'll need an SR-22 for, but I can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone...

I just need to know how long I need the SR-22 after a 2nd DUI. I got the 2nd DUI back in 2010, and finished my 18 month program in Sept. of 2012. Everything I read and everyone I talk to brings up the "3 year" rule, but 3 years from what? Enrollment date in the course? Completion date? I believe there's been a clerical error, because DMV is saying I need it 3 years from February of 2014. They've told me to contact their Mandatory Action Unit, but they've proved impossible to get ahold of...

I moved from Sac to LA, so I only did the last month of the program here. Also, the school didn't have my arrest date, so they never sent completion papers until earlier this year, after I found out about the clerical error. I think someone's got a date wrong somewhere, because 3 years from February is pretty much an arbitrary date, and it doesn't make sense to me why it would matter when the school sent the paperwork... shouldn't it just be about when I finished the program?

Thanks in advance for the help =)

aristocatkitty

I'm in that kind of limbo myself. Went to the DMV and the two clerks gave me nothing except a M.A.U. phone number. They never answer, so I gave up that Sacramento call.
My counselor advised the same, suggested the DMV machine is too big for any good.

That aside, I filed for an exemption for interlock ignition device and I got denied. Well, oh well.

I'm done with the court at the end of this year and have completed every requirement of AAs, groups, etc.

Time to roll the dice. Even been in touch with the court reporter searching of the transcript where the judge's bailiff waved my plastic license up in the air as he said, "Take it, you're fine." No words on record; I am beside myself.

I hope everything turned out okay for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">