• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Start dui classes in one state and finish in another?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heyitsme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California.

I'm in California and am going to have to do an 18 month alcohol education course. The thing is though, I'm going back to school in about 1 year (for my MBA) and will have about 6 months worth of classes left to complete by that time. I was reading online that you can transfer terms of your probation (such as community service and dui classes) to another state because sometimes people have to move for their job, school, etc.

I asked my lawyer about this and he said you can't. I'm super confused right now and I think he might be mistaken. He had an emergency and we didn't get to finish our conversation so he is scheduled to call me back so we can finish our conversation, but does anybody know anything about this?

I would think you would be able to because like I said, people have to sometimes move for their jobs and what not. Any insight would be great, thanks.

FlyingRon

First off, a probation transfer isn't a given. Both your existing probation officer and the state transferring have to approve it. It's routinely done, but it can take months to set up.

You can't transfer the courses. Only California DUI courses count. However, you may be able to do them online.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California.

I'm in California and am going to have to do an 18 month alcohol education course. The thing is though, I'm going back to school in about 1 year (for my MBA) and will have about 6 months worth of classes left to complete by that time. I was reading online that you can transfer terms of your probation (such as community service and dui classes) to another state because sometimes people have to move for their job, school, etc.

I asked my lawyer about this and he said you can't. I'm super confused right now and I think he might be mistaken. He had an emergency and we didn't get to finish our conversation so he is scheduled to call me back so we can finish our conversation, but does anybody know anything about this?

I would think you would be able to because like I said, people have to sometimes move for their jobs and what not. Any insight would be great, thanks.

**A: you need to ask your probation officer. The court may not allow you to leave the state.

CourtClerk

FlyingRon and your attorney are correct, the classes cannot be completed in another state. As for a probation transfer, you can transfer the supervision, but often some of the terms must be completed prior to. One of the terms being...completion of this course.

heyitsme

**A: you need to ask your probation officer. The court may not allow you to leave the state.
I already know that I am allowed to leave the state.

There is no probation officer. Obviously I am on probation, but no specific officer is assigned to me personally. I won't even be dealing with probation officers, only the court drug and alcohol liason (which isnt a probation officer, just the person who pretty much files paperwork and tells you how to sign up for classes).

heyitsme

FlyingRon and your attorney are correct, the classes cannot be completed in another state. As for a probation transfer, you can transfer the supervision, but often some of the terms must be completed prior to. One of the terms being...completion of this course.
I was just coming back to update since I was able to talk to my attorney in detail now.

He said the answer to transferring the class is a yes and a no answer. He said, technically you can transfer the course (assuming the transfer is approved, which he said it usually is - not always, but usually, depending on the state) and once you complete the transfer it will satisfy the courts terms of dui class completion - meaning, I will be ok in the eyes of the court. What it wont satisfy though, is the DMV. In order for everything to be squared away with the DMV, the classes must be completed through the state of California.

I'm still interested in hearing about the possibility to complete the classes online like FlyingRon stated. I didn't think this was an option in California.

heyitsme

First off, a probation transfer isn't a given. Both your existing probation officer and the state transferring have to approve it. It's routinely done, but it can take months to set up.

You can't transfer the courses. Only California DUI courses count. However, you may be able to do them online.
I forgot that one of the schools I am applying to is in San Francisco (I am currently in southern California). If I end up going to San Francisco, would that be an easier transfer? I know you said "only california dui courses count," so since I will still be in CA, is that a more likely scenario?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">