• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of limitations of dui

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cracker72

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina I got a dui in 1999 in South Carolina I am from nc and moved back when I did nc said they had no record of me having drivers license in sc and my nc license was still valid. I went to renew my nc license the other day and they said I had a block from sc and needed to take care of it before they could renew my license. I called sc and they said I would have to pay a $560 fine ( which I payed at the time I got the dui) and go to classes to get the block lifted. I moved back to nc in 2001 and haven't even got as much as a speeding ticket so can sc block me from getting my license in nc considering its been 17 years ago and at the time nc had no record of it

justalayman

South Carolina cannot block you from getting North Carolina license but North Carolina can refuse to issue you a license due to the Isssue in South Carolina

Last edited:

FlyingRon

The statute (no matter who it is of) isn't going to help you. Once a state blocks you, no other state will issue or renew. Used to be able to get away with it, but computers are amazing things.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just to clarify for the OP:

The statute of limitations refers to the time between a crime being committed and the person being charged with said crime. Once you are charged with the crime (in a timely manner), the statute of limitations is moot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">