• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations for a dwi in colorado

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

josh_fla

What is the name of your state? florida, charge was in colorado however.

in april of 2001 i was pulled over and determined to be under the influence. i posted bond the next day and returned to my state of residence, oregon. i was unable to make the court date and was foolish in not pursuing closure on the matter. however, i have not been in any further contact with authorities and wondering what happens now. my license in oregon has expired and i have now moved to florida for further schooling. unfortunately, colorado has put a hold on my license and both oregon and florida are respecting this action, not allowing me to renew my license.
i have been in contact with the county courts in colorado and they have told me that i will at least stay a night in jail, and be prosecuted. as bad as this seems, i wonder if i may just hold off until the statute of limitations comes into effect and just let my avoidance of law enforcement personel speak for a lesson learned. it was speculated that the s.o.l. was most likely 7 years which is not too far off. if longer, however, i may just have to swallow that bitter pill and take responsibility.
please, do not chide me on this rather cavalier attitude. i have had to live with this worry for many years, i'm just seaking to know what my options are at this time.

sjmjuly

You can run, but you can't hide. Eventually you will be caught and like the previous poster said, you more than likely have a warrent out for your arrest.
This issue will not simply go away. Law enforcement and the courts have made it so people can't just "walk away and hide" until the S.O.L. runs out. You have to face the music and own up to your responsibility. I am not passing judgement, I am merely stating the fact that you need to do the right thing and take care of your issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">