• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is there a statue of limitations in virginia for dui?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bobbarob

What is the name of your state?I live in ohio but got a dui in virginia...is there a statue of limitations on this in virginia...please say yes... :eek:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bobbarob said:
how long and such like that

My response:

I'm glad you asked.

You see, and while you never stated it, you undoubtedly never appeared in court for the DUI. You bailed out of jail, and then you ran back home.

That means you have a warrant for your immediate arrest. That warrant NEVER expires - - except, and to fully answer your question, when you die.

So, don't get pulled over by a cop because when the cop pulls up your driving record - - whooops - - your warrant pops up and then you get a pair of matching bracelets!

IAAL

B

bobbarob

hmmm...thats weird...because i did get a ticket and nothing was ever said...so.....In all reality there is no statue of limitations then

B

bobbarob

no i never went to court....your right i got bonded and bolted....so for all the others out there in virginia...if you do go to the first initial trial and then bolt ...can they still get ya?....just curious

C

cscjta

As IAAL said, the answer is yes - a warrant never expires, especially in Virginia.

to add to IAAL, if you get pulled over in another state and they run you info through the handy-dandy computer and it shows a warrant for you. they hold you in jail until they find out what they want to do with you. the whole process takes about a week. i.e. a nice fun few days in the can. most likely though they won't ship you back for a dui. have fun.

CdwJava

They will probably not extradite you from TX to VA for a DUI warrant ... but, TX could very well suspend/revoke your license if VA did. And, you never know - someday VA may decide that they WILL extradite you.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">