• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In a tight situation Between two states and a DWAI..please read..States are CO and CT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joeconn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fort Colons, Colorodo.

My girlfriend and I are having some troubles. Shes originally lived in the state of Connecticut for her whole life and she never got her license changed. But she decided to go to Colorodo State University in FT colons. She got into a DWAI by hitting a parked car with no one in it and did not harm anyone. Shes trying to move home, back to Connecticut were she spent the past 19 years of her life (shes 20 she just recently went there in the past year). Now there going to put her on probation and she just wants to come home to her family, friends, and loved ones and apparently she has to stay there for a year.

What sense does that make?? What is up with the law can they not just transfer her probation to another state were it would make more sense for her to be such as with her parents living back at home so she can get away from that environment?

Any suggestions are so appreciated ...thank you

Joe

FlyingRon

Society and the person who's car she hit were harmed.
Probation isn't a right, it's a break given to people who have been convicted of crimes in lieu of putting them in jail.

Has she requested with the probation department to make the move? It takes time because both Colorado and Connecticut have to get together and agree on things (I've seen it take six months).

xylene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fort Colons, Colorodo.

My girlfriend and I are having some troubles. Shes originally lived in the state of Connecticut for her whole life and she never got her license changed. But she decided to go to Colorodo State University in FT colons. She got into a DWAI by hitting a parked car with no one in it and did not harm anyone. Shes trying to move home, back to Connecticut were she spent the past 19 years of her life (shes 20 she just recently went there in the past year). Now there going to put her on probation and she just wants to come home to her family, friends, and loved ones and apparently she has to stay there for a year.

What sense does that make?? What is up with the law can they not just transfer her probation to another state were it would make more sense for her to be such as with her parents living back at home so she can get away from that environment?

Any suggestions are so appreciated ...thank you

Joe
1 year is not a long time.

She has no pressing reason to move.

Her request will be denied.

Joeconn

i figured it would be denied but i didnt ask you to come here to tell me that i asked you to give me options.. thanks

some of the reasons she wants to move home is she has a history of drug problems and being there with all the drug addicts that shes surrounded by will not help her..i know its more of a self control thing and totally understand that is all her fault yada yada blah blah but im looking for OPTIONS not someone to tell me no to up there post count..dont waste your time posting no i already know thats most likley going to happen but that does not mean i am not going to try for someone i love. i could give a **** what anyones going to say im a fighter i fight for what i love you know? If she stays there I and her family both know shes going to do worse. Theres drugs everywere sure..but the people who truley care about her are here in CT and were trying to fight for her to come home. To be honest if i was her id just leave the state and not go back there not going to waste there time looking for her i know plenty of people who have done that before, gotten a dui in another state and had them try to keep them but they just didnt go back and its been 5-10 years later for some of them and nothings even happened. But im trying to do it the honest way here.. im an honest person ..most likley the opposite of my girlfriend shes got alot of problems but im trying to help her out. There must be some way theres always some way..**** if retarded football players can kill people while driving drunk and not go to jail theres obviously someway i can get her probation transferd to connecticut or at least let her come home all together.

Sorry if the tones angry but i am angry (mostly at her for being an idiot).. but if anyone out there has ever loved someone so much and would try do do anything for them that has some legal advice for me then post it because ive never been in trouble in my life so i have no idea what to do ..i have a clean slate compaired to her. Everythings possible you just have to try hard enough in my opinion.

Last edited:

xylene

i figured it would be denied but i didnt ask you to come here to tell me that i asked you to give me options.. thanks

some of the reasons she wants to move home is she has a history of drug problems and being there with all the drug addicts that shes surrounded by will not help her..i know its more of a self control thing and totally understand that is all her fault yada yada blah blah but im looking for OPTIONS not someone to tell me no to up there post count..dont waste your time posting no i already know thats most likley going to happen but that does not mean i am not going to try for someone i love. i could give a **** what anyones going to say im a fighter i fight for what i love you know? If she stays there I and her family both know shes going to do worse. Theres drugs everywere sure..but the people who truley care about her are here in CT and were trying to fight for her to come home. To be honest if i was her id just leave the state and not go back there not going to waste there time looking for her i know plenty of people who have done that before, gotten a dui in another state and had them try to keep them but they just didnt go back and its been 5-10 years later for some of them and nothings even happened. But im trying to do it the honest way here.. im an honest person ..most likley the opposite of my girlfriend shes got alot of problems but im trying to help her out. There must be some way theres always some way..**** if retarded football players can kill people while driving drunk and not go to jail theres obviously someway i can get her probation transferd to connecticut or at least let her come home all together.

Sorry if the tones angry but i am angry (mostly at her for being an idiot).. but if anyone out there has ever loved someone so much and would try do do anything for them that has some legal advice for me then post it because ive never been in trouble in my life so i have no idea what to do ..i have a clean slate compaired to her. Everythings possible you just have to try hard enough in my opinion.
First, don't make her problems your problems. Your tone suggest heavy emotional investment in 'solving' a problem that was 100% the choice of the person involved. You can't make it go away.

If she has a drug problem, the worst thing you can do is try to fix her. That is co-dependency and bad for her and TERRIBLE for you.

---

None of the reasons you suggest amount to a reason that will convince the probabtion officers in CO and CT.

They are not going to let her move to be close to her family.

If she has a drug problem, then PERHAPS if she were trying to enter a bona fide drug treatment program in Connecticut... that might sway things.

The bottom line is that, whatever the reason, it is going to be hard to do no matter what, and it will take a reason. And a reason the POs will accept will not be based on subjective criteria.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">