• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Time limitation for reporting a DUI on background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mia09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I received a DUI in 2006, while away in Ohio at college. I plead no contest to the class B Misdemeanor. I have run background checks on myself several times and had two employers run backgrounds check, fortunately for me, the DUI has never shown up. This charge constantly worries me when I have to submit to background checks for loans, jobs, etc. Is there a time period where I will no longer have to report it? I have heard that a background check agency might uncover misdemeanors, but can’t report them to the employer if they are more than seven years old. Is this true? Does it vary by state? If so, is it the law of the state you committed the crime or the one you currently live in? I know DUI’s show up on DMV and criminal checks, so are there separate time statues for each one? I just want to know when I can rest assured that I can complete a background check without this showing up.

I know this is a ton of questions in one posting, but I would appreciate any answers.

FlyingRon

Unless expunged (and perhaps not even then) or pardoned it's FOREVER.
Your rolling the dice by lying on an application banking on the background check being incomplete.

Unless expunged (and perhaps not even then) or pardoned it's FOREVER.
Your rolling the dice by lying on an application banking on the background check being incomplete.
Wrong again JiminCA, I think you are going for the record of inaccurate and uninformed advice. A DUI charge cannot be expunged in Florida. The chances of getting a pardon are zero. The reason your charge didn't show up is that the companies doing the check are generally outsourced by the company hiring you. It is a general policy to only check the last 7 years but I wouldn't count on this happening all the time.

VeronicaLodge

just so you know OP, where I work, we rarely not offer a job or rescind an offer based on the background check unless the offense relates directly to what we are hiring for or if they are like a murderer or something, but we VERY often rescind offers for lying. we would not rescind for an old dui or drug charge but again, would for lying. so make your decision. you can easily make an argument for getting caught doing something dumb in your youth and learning your lesson, you can't really explain away being a liar today to a prospective employer.

JIMinCA

Wrong again JiminCA, I think you are going for the record of inaccurate and uninformed advice. A DUI charge cannot be expunged in Florida. The chances of getting a pardon are zero. The reason your charge didn't show up is that the companies doing the check are generally outsourced by the company hiring you. It is a general policy to only check the last 7 years but I wouldn't count on this happening all the time.

Dude... are you on drugs?? FlyingRon made a post and then you say "Wrong agin JiminCA"!! What kind of axe do you have to grind when you are blaming othe people's posts on me!?!?!

JIMinCA

I got so used to seeing the inaccurate advice being attached to your name I missed that. I apologize.
You shouldn't appologize to me... you should appologize to all the posters that you have summarily decided were guilty and lying and have no opportunity for federal service.

JIMinCA

I shouldn't apologize for giving accurate advice based on insightful prospective. Please stop being an obnoxious troll and violating the TOS for this forum.
I have yet to see any "insightful prospective" (I think you meant "perspective") from your posts. A quick review has revealed that there are many others who feel the same way I do. You have a tendencey to post your emotional opinions as if they are absolute fact. This is wrong and potentially dangerous. You also have twice now sent hateful PMs to me, although your account is set up not to recieve PMs in return. It is your choice to make your absurd posts and it is your choice that this conversation be carried out in public.

Tone down your posts. Stop making statements of absolute fact. And most of all, loose the arrogant chip on your shoulder. Maybe then you'll get a bit more respect on this site.

FlyingRon

I don't know what mental problem you have, but the information I gave is just fine. He must report it. So expungement is not possible. That doesn't affect the veracity of my answer (can you follow basic logic?). He must report it. You are right that cheap background checks miss things, but you can't count on it always being shoddy. Anything really important like police or government investigations will see it even if it were possible to expunge or pardon.

You can get a federal job (even a TS SCI security clearance) with a DUI. What you won't get is a clearance if you lie on your application and say you were never convicted of anything.

BigMistakeFl

Check

Again, background checks are largely unregulated and thriving new industry. From my perspective as hiring employer, it mostly depends on how much money the employer spends. A cursory background check for under $50.00 has for my purposes turned up little or nothing. I have spent several hundred dollars on deeper background checks and found blips on the same prospective employee.

A DUI may not cause you to lose a job or be hired for one depending on the type of work you do. If you are a Nanny or a taxi driver, you may need to seek another career path. I can say though, that failing to disclose the arrest / conviction has certainly caused resumes and applications to be tossed into the circular file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">