• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was told Ohio ALS fine ($475) was waived & terminated... it wasn't

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryansmith

Hi,

I was accused of OVI, which was reduced to Physical Control. I do wish I would have proceeded to fight in court because I was well within the margin of error, but that is another story.

When my attorney presented me with the plea deal, I asked him several questions. one question I asked was if the fee associated with the ALS would be waived and terminated, as I was aware that this fee is often waived and terminated. He misinformed me by saying that there would be no fine with the reduced plea.

I would really like to ask the court for consideration of waiving and terminating the ALS fee, and explain my reasoning for this. I am not sure what the best way to do this would be. The few people I have talked to said it would be possible to file a motion. Another person said write a letter to the judge explaining the situation.

Additionally, I had good reason to justify this waiver as I appealed the ALS within five days of arrest as the arresting officer would not let me see or read Form 2255 prior to signing.

And I haven't spoke to my attorney since the pre trial. He has been unreachable by phone and hasn't replied to the two emails I have sent him and it's been almost two months since.

Thank you or any help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">