• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transferring Car Title to Family Member after 2nd DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rysnoek

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My mother recently received her second DUI and has lost her driving privileges as a result. Her car is paid for, but we were told that it can be confiscated if the title stays in her name. Also, we have different last names, but we live at the same address.

Am I able to have her transfer the title of the car into my name?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My mother recently received her second DUI and has lost her driving privileges as a result. Her car is paid for, but we were told that it can be confiscated if the title stays in her name. Also, we have different last names, but we live at the same address.

Am I able to have her transfer the title of the car into my name?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If you go through with this plan and your mom drives the car and gets in an accident, you will end up paying the price. So think about that before deciding to go ahead with this fraud.

rysnoek

So then do we just turn the car into the state? Her car is free and clear, and newer than mine. Can't I just sell my car and then buy her car?

Is this somehow fraudulent because we live in the same house??

Antigone*

So then do we just turn the car into the state? Her car is free and clear, and newer than mine. Can't I just sell my car and then buy her car?

Mom is transferring the vehicle to your name because she doesn't want to pay the price for her actions. Mom is going to cause you a world of hurt because you know she will continue to drive.

YOU will be responsible for any damages to any property or person (heaven forbid) when she gets in a wreck because she can't keep her lips off a bottle when she drives.

Mass_Shyster

The fraudulent part comes in where you put the title in your name, but let her continue driving it.

You left out the reason why you wanted to transfer the title in your original post, so someone will reasonably assume you are somehow trying to beat the system.

Why not just sell her car?

ba187

Purchasing A Vehicle and title transfer from person with DUI

Hello,

I am wondering if any one could tell me some information in regards to purchasing a motor vehicle from someone who has a second DUI. I have looked at the vehicle and I would be able purchase it at a cheap price but since this person had a second DUI the state told him they will make him put Special Plates on the car so this is why he wants to sell it. My question is if I purchase this vehicle and transfer the title into my name will I have to have these special license plates if I purchase it?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">