• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tried buying beer at a store. Twice. Would they report this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnK83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Hi. A couple months ago I got my first DUI. Since then I have not been driving, but occasionally still drink. My license was punched, but most cashiers at stores seem to not care...until yesterday. Yesterday I went to get a 6 pack of hard cider at the store I've been buying from recently, but the cashier was very rude and turned me away when she saw my license. In the heat of the moment, I went out of the store, around to the other entrance and to the second floor of the store, and tried one of the cashiers who had sold to me before. While in line this cashier recieved a phone call from the earlier one and I was again turned away. This initial cashier was very rude and treated me like a terrible person, so I'm a bit worried...

My question is, is this something they would regularly report to authorities? Should I worry that it will become part of my pending case against me?

Thank you for your time.

ENASNI

nope

Guardian angels do not need to report to the authorities.. just who they are trying to protect. Catch a clue no Hard Cider for you. Report back if hey have broken their code of just GIVING YOU WARNING> small towns are really gabby though. Be afraid... be very afraid.
To tell you the truth they are more worried about their license to sell, since they did not sell to you they have no worries. to narc on you would seem counetr-productive.. unless they are on their radar, Just stay sober your license is out there. Stay sober stay scared and stay away from that store. They are on to you chum and when I say "chum" I mean the sharks are awaiting and want their blood.

methinks you cannot can stay away from the hard stuff and we will hear again later ... sorry to guess. Be strong

davew128

Can someone explain to me why the OP is having an issue here? Unless he or she is on probation (not readily obvious), I don't see why they can't buy alcohol.

Proserpina

Can someone explain to me why the OP is having an issue here? Unless he or she is on probation (not readily obvious), I don't see why they can't buy alcohol.

Other than the old "We reserve the right to refuse service....etc., etc" thing? No clue, dave. Maybe the cashiers just don't like the OP. Or maybe they heard through the grapevine that he got a DUI.

They don't need a reason, really.

OHRoadwarrior

As long as the punch does not obscure birth date info, they can. The biggest contention is if they drove to the store. A punched license is invalid for driving.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
FYI... (from http://www.sgb-law.com/resources/license-punch/)

The hole which was punched in your license is an indication that your license will now expire 60 days from the date of your arrest. Within that time, the DOL will move to suspend or revoke your license based upon the report of the police officer. If you took the breath test and the reading was .08 or higher your license will be suspended for a minimum of ninety days and up to two years, depending on your record. If you refused to take the breath test, your license will be revoked for one year and up to two years, depending upon your record.

The DUI arresting officer who punched your license should have given you a notice of suspension and a Driver's Hearing Request form. The officer gives the notice and Hearing Request form to the accused where a breath test is administered and the result was .08 or higher, or where a test was refused. This is required for all arrests where a breath test is administered and the result was .08 or higher, or where a test was refused. If you took a blood test after the DUI arrest, usually the Department of Licensing will send the notice and form to you.

The hole in your license has nothing to do with your ability to purchase alcoholic beverages.

CJane

The hole in your license has nothing to do with your ability to purchase alcoholic beverages.
Except where a "damaged" or "altered" driver license - as this one now is - may not be considered valid ID.

OP should go to the DMV and obtain a "Non-Driver License", which IS a valid ID.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">