• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to move from Texas to New York

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raoguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
I am on probation for a 3rd dwi in texas. I have completed 4 of 8 years of my probation, have paid all fines and completed all classes/community service, etc. I haven't had a single problem all the while on probation. I am wanting to move to New York to be with my boyfriend. He lives there and I should have no problem finding work. My question is what, if anything can I do to guarantee a transfer? I don't meet "mandatory" requirements, but would be a "discretionary" case. Could I hire an attorney and try to end my probation early. I've researched and found out that in 2007 the legislature agreed to shorten probation periods for felony crimes to a max of five years in order to lessen the burden on probaton officers case loads. Since I've successfully completed 4 years, would a judge be likely to end my probation early?

raoguy

I originally asked about a transfer and applied. All the while my probation officer was very optimistic about the possibility of it happening. After some time of hearing nothing, I began to ask around. In talking to another probation officer in another county, he said that New York would not accept me because I have no compelling reason to take me there. He said he doesn't even give his probationer's the choice unless they meet mandatory requirements. I called my officer and told him what the other officer told me, and his response was that yeah, new york would probably not take me. All the while he acted like they would happily take me. When I questioned him as to why he wasn't being straight with me, he said he likes to be positive and doesn't like to think he has control over his probationer's lives! I told him that I appreciate his optimism, but I'd rather him be realistic. So, we retracted the application, since if it is denied I cannot reapply for 6 months. So my plan is to reapply with more information on the application, like actual living address and potential job lined up....etc....

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">