• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two Traffic Citations from 2004, But Its Not Me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marmos

I received two citations in the mail yesterday for traffic violations. They are both for driving under the influence of an illegal substance, and are $700 and $850 fines.
I called the courts and I was told the date the tickets were issued in 2004 and if I wanted to contest them I would have to pay the fine in full first before I could speak with a judge.

I think I am a victim of identity theft, and I can't even afford to pay the fine to contest it in court. The operator told me the person had already shown up to court to contest the tickets and chose to pay them, but has yet to do so.

This has never shown up on my DMV record, and when I log on the court website there is no info on the citation. If I choose to pay the fine, when I enter the citation number it shows the fine due, but no due date or court date.

What would be the best course of action in my situation?

BTW, the citation does not have my middle initial.

Marmos

Go view the citations in person, to see if they give you an indication as to who used your identity.
I am planning on going to the main courts as soon as I can. The person who used my identity was out in Murrieta Ca (Still Riverside County), which is 30 miles away. What should I ask when I go view the citation in person? I have heard that most of the time the county clerks are limited to whats on there screen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">