• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uggg... Public Defender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheShallot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ILLINOIS

I was pulled over for speeding a month ago. (Going 57 in a 35 which 100% BS)

They smelled alcohol on me. I was told that I should never get out of the car or perform any tests because they are all rigged for me to fail.

So, I didnt take a breathalyzer. I didnt perform any of their tests. I didnt even get out of the car! I told them they have no authorization to touch my vehicle or search it. I gave them my DL, insurance card and registration. Thats it.

I was having a panic attack (i get them somewhat often) and I was freaking out. Well 2 minutes later the door opens on the car and I get ripped out and slammed against the pavement. My glasses broke and my face was badly scratched to where they called an ambulance. They took me to the hospital... did NOT draw blood. (BTW I told them I refuse to go to the hospital and they said "its to late")

Well I have NOOOOOO money. I was layed off 5 months ago and cant find a job to support myself. I had to take a Public Defender.

I was told by two attorneys that I could probably get the DUI dismissed. The public Defender says it would be a MIRACLE.

My question: Should I take out a loan to pay for a regular attorney and ditch the Public Defender? :confused:

Thank You in advance!!!!!! :)

Last edited:

SIN EATER

Sure. If you can take out a loan, I (taxpayer) shouldn't be paying your tab.

Hiring an attorney is part of your punishment.

Some Random Guy

I was told that I should never get out of the car or perform any tests because they are all rigged for me to fail.

So, I didnt take a breathalyzer. I didnt perform any of their tests. I didnt even get out of the car!
Perhaps you should stop listening to your freidns who told you this. Apparently they were playing a practical joke on you designed to put you in jail and get your drivers license suspended.

I told them they have no authorization to touch my vehicle or search it.
Just because you tell them they don't have the authority doesn't mean that they don't have the authority. They may not have your permission, but they certainly don't need it in many situations.

If you want your case resolved, use the PD. If you want someone to patiently explain what you did wrong then use a private lawyer (because he will be charging you by th ehour to explain your mistakes here.)

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Well I have NOOOOOO money. I was layed off 5 months ago and cant find a job to support myself. I had to take a Public Defender.
The good news is, you can factor "not spending money on gas" into your budget planning, because you're going to lose your license for at least one year for the refusal--whether you get convicted or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">