• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Under 18 Dui In Hawaii

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

noka_nut

What is the name of your state?
HAWAII

I AM 16 YEARS OLD AND RECENTLY FELL ASLEEP WHILE DRIVING AND TOTALED MY CAR. I HAD BEEN DRINKING EARLIER AND CAME UP WITH A BAC OF 0.082. I BELIEVE TO BE FACING DUI CHARGES NOW.
COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT CONSEQUENCES I MAY BE FACING AND/OR HOW I CAN FIGHT IT?

TinkerBelleLuvr

I HAD BEEN DRINKING EARLIER
You admit that you drank. First of all, that, in of itself, is illegal. Then, you drove.

For a start, kiss the driver's license away. You may want to consider a drug and alcohol program since there appears to be a problem here.

Most likely, loss of license till 18, higher insurance rates, fines, jail?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state?
HAWAII

I AM 16 YEARS OLD AND RECENTLY FELL ASLEEP WHILE DRIVING AND TOTALED MY CAR. I HAD BEEN DRINKING EARLIER AND CAME UP WITH A BAC OF 0.082. I BELIEVE TO BE FACING DUI CHARGES NOW.
COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT CONSEQUENCES I MAY BE FACING AND/OR HOW I CAN FIGHT IT?
**A: first off the drinking age in Hawaii is 21. Next, you must have just gotten your license since the age in Hawaii is 16 unless you got an exemption. You will not be allowed to even get your license back for many years. What are your parents willing to do to help you? Will they hire an attorney?

HomeGuru

You admit that you drank. First of all, that, in of itself, is illegal. Then, you drove.

For a start, kiss the driver's license away. You may want to consider a drug and alcohol program since there appears to be a problem here.

**A: 18? Read my post.

TinkerBelleLuvr

He MAY be allowed to get a license at 18, but I would hate to see what his insurance premiums will be. In no case can he drink and drive. And definitely NO drinking before 21.

Licenses under 18 require parental signatures.

To apply for an unrestricted license, you need to be at least 18 years of age. If you are younger than that, you must enter the graduated licensing program (see Driver Education), which is a three-step process for minors to attain full driving privileges.
Civil moving violations remain on your record for three years, while no-fault violations stick around for five years. A DUI arrest or conviction will haunt your traffic abstract for 10 years before it disappears.

noka_nut

My Parents Are Willing To Help As They Are Happy That I Made It Out Alive. Ive Had My Licence For About 8 Months Now. Idk If We Can Afford A Lawyer. I Was Not Given Any Papers Or Anything From The Police, So I Really Dont Know Whats Going On.

paguy88

why does there appear to be a problem? Billions of people drink... he is underage in the US and yes he committed a crime BUT ALL PEOPLE THAT DRINK DONT NEED A PROGRAM TO HELP THEM.

CourtClerk

why does there appear to be a problem? Billions of people drink... he is underage in the US and yes he committed a crime BUT ALL PEOPLE THAT DRINK DONT NEED A PROGRAM TO HELP THEM.
But all people who drink and drive have a problem and need a program to help them... before they kill someone.

noka_nut

first of all....im a girl
second of all i dont have a problem or need a program
i jus simply made a mistake in choices

i really dont drink that often
ive learned my lesson from this, as i almost killed me and my friends
i am teenager and ive made some silly choices that have messed up my life so far
this doesnt mean im a bad person, in fact i think im a very good person who has the ability to make it very far in life...
i am ready to face the consequences of my actions, move on with my life and do good things..
so please,
do not judge me based on ONE action ive made,
thank u for your time and help

CdwJava

Sorry to say, but attending some manner of counseling or education will almost certainly be required as a condition of probation or license reinstatement later.

You shouldn't be drinking AT ALL.

Good! I hope that is true and you believe what you wrote!

In my county all but ONE fatality in the last year involved DUI drivers ... many of the victims were under 21, too.

Good luck, and when/if you get your license back one day, avoid the alcohol like a plague.

- Carl

noka_nut

yea, i know ill have to go to at least 10 hours worth of rehab like programs

i can handle my punishment,

and yes i truly have learned my lesson, when i do get my licence back in forever
i will be the designated driver..

i must ask though, did any of u never drink while u were underage??

it seems as if u find it shocking and taboo
i realize its not a good thing, but it is certainly nothing new...

anyways, i would like to get a fresh start on things, at this point i have to

so my life is drug-free(alcohol and tobacco included) from now on...
i really want this all to be cleared up so i can move on and prove myself to the world,
so please any advice you have to offer is greatly appreciated..
unless it is a direct attack on my intelligence, in which case, u probably shouldnt say much, as i take great offense to that, esp. since the only thing you know about me is im 16 and have a DUI...
if that was all there was to me then yes i would be stupid to say the least
but there is much more aspects of my life that u are unaware of...
please believe me when i tell u i am a good, intelligent, mature person who is very remorseful for her actions

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And if any of the posters here said yes, they drank and drove when they were under age, do you think that would make it okay for you to do so?

Do you think that being sorry makes everything okay?

Do you think that the law is going to say, oh, it's all right, you don't have to be punished because you're a "good kid" and you're sorry?

For the record, I had my first drink EVER when I was 23. So don't try to tell me it's okay because others have done it. I'm living proof that it's possible to say no to underaged drinking.

CourtClerk

Maybe I'm an anomoly, but I didn't do anything until I was of age to do so. I didn't have my child until I was an adult and capable of affording one, I didn't drink until I was WELL over 21, in fact, I was almost 30. I never smoked.

I feared my parents more than I feared God, Satan, the police and the IRS combined.

So no, I never drank before I was of age, and still today, I don't drink and drive.

And yes, you need a program. You need to figure out why it is that you deem it acceptable to drink when you (1) can't legally and (2) should have to.

HomeGuru

**A: oh please, give us a freakin break. No that was not a mistake in choices. That was against the law and idiotic.

**A: oh really? Then how not often do you drink?

i am teenager and ive made some silly choices that have messed up my life so far
this doesnt mean im a bad person, in fact i think im a very good person who has the ability to make it very far in life...
i am ready to face the consequences of my actions, move on with my life and do good things..
so please,
do not judge me based on ONE action ive made,
thank u for your time and help

**A: OK, then stop drinking, sell your car and do not drive until you are 25 years old. How about that for facing the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">