• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

underage citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mechan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
pa - my son is 19 years old. someone saw him throwing up in the bathroom of his college dormitory and called the campus police. they came to his dorm room and his room mate let them in. they asked him if he was drinking and he told him that he was. they took him by ambulance to the hospital and there they did a blood test. his blood alcohol level was .189. he was cited for underage drinking. the county he was cited in offers a program called youthful offenders. this involves taking a class and pleading not guilty to the alcohol charge but you must agree to plead guilty to disorderly conduct. he is going through the youthful offender program. he will have to wait 5 years to get this disorderly conduct charged repunged from his record. he currently has a clean record. if i hire a lawyer is there a possibility that he can get charges dismissed totally? If he pleads guilty to underage drinking he can have that charged repunged when he is 21 but he will lose his drivers license. i am confused about what the best course of action for him to take would be. i am mostly concerned about his record.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
pa - my son is 19 years old. someone saw him throwing up in the bathroom of his college dormitory and called the campus police. they came to his dorm room and his room mate let them in. they asked him if he was drinking and he told him that he was. they took him by ambulance to the hospital and there they did a blood test. his blood alcohol level was .189. he was cited for underage drinking. the county he was cited in offers a program called youthful offenders. this involves taking a class and pleading not guilty to the alcohol charge but you must agree to plead guilty to disorderly conduct. he is going through the youthful offender program. he will have to wait 5 years to get this disorderly conduct charged repunged from his record. he currently has a clean record. if i hire a lawyer is there a possibility that he can get charges dismissed totally? If he pleads guilty to underage drinking he can have that charged repunged when he is 21 but he will lose his drivers license. i am confused about what the best course of action for him to take would be. i am mostly concerned about his record.
Some would be mostly concerned about their 19 year old son having a BAC of .189...

You say that he's going through the youthful offender program. That means he already pled guilty...the horse has been let out of the barn, so to speak. Feel free to consult with an attorney about this matter.

One last thing: The word is expunged, not repunged.

Just Blue

Your adult son will have to deal with this "repungened".:rolleyes:

Apples and trees...;)

quincy

pa - my son is 19 years old. someone saw him throwing up in the bathroom of his college dormitory and called the campus police. they came to his dorm room and his room mate let them in. they asked him if he was drinking and he told him that he was. they took him by ambulance to the hospital and there they did a blood test. his blood alcohol level was .189. ...
I hope you have had the opportunity to thank whoever it was who called campus police so your son could be transported to the hospital. There are far too many young people who would not show that sort of concern - and your son might not have survived the night (e.g., he could have choked on his own vomit and died).

The Youthful Offender Program allows your son to escape having a permanent criminal record. It is a good program. Your son's best course of action at this point is to make sure he does not violate any of the program's terms.

cyjeff

Dear God.

Your son had a BAC of .189. This means that nearly 2% of his blood was alcohol. Literally the equivalent of a 1/2 pint of whiskey rumbling about your son's bloodstream.

Thank God for the kindness of strangers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">