• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

underage drinking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My 19 year old son who is away at college got a ticket this weekend for underage drinking, he was at a bar and they sold him a beer. I'm not sure if I should just have him sign the waiver and pay the fine or let him go to court and plead no contest. He has never been in trouble before so I am wondering if there's any chance a judge would just give him a warning and dismiss the charge.

How does a case like this usually go?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My 19 year old son who is away at college got a ticket this weekend for underage drinking, he was at a bar and they sold him a beer. I'm not sure if I should just have him sign the waiver and pay the fine or let him go to court and plead no contest. He has never been in trouble before so I am wondering if there's any chance a judge would just give him a warning and dismiss the charge.

So you are blaming the bar for selling him the bar and not your son for buying and drinking the beer? What you should say is that he has NEVER been CAUGHT before. That is more likely the truth. He is an adult. He needs to make better decisions. He can start with asking if his court has any diversion programs. If not, he could actually consider owning up to what he did and pay the fine. Oh and not drinking again.

dave33

There is just no way to tell. This is something he can handle on his own, besides there's not much you can do. goodluck.

dave33

So you are blaming the bar for selling him the bar and not your son for buying and drinking the beer? What you should say is that he has NEVER been CAUGHT before. That is more likely the truth. He is an adult. He needs to make better decisions. He can start with asking if his court has any diversion programs. If not, he could actually consider owning up to what he did and pay the fine. Oh and not drinking again.
It does not sound like he is blaming anyone, merely asking a question. It seems you have an issue with a parent asking how they can best help their child. The o.p. said he's never been in trouble before the fact that he's never been caught goes without saying.
Needs to make better decisions, huh? A college kid had a beer, no child abuse,homocide or even a bruise.
Own up to it? Often owning up to anything in the system is nieve and unproductive.I know you know this, what's with the attitude? You seem angry all day.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It does not sound like he is blaming anyone, merely asking a question. It seems you have an issue with a parent asking how they can best help their child. The o.p. said he's never been in trouble before the fact that he's never been caught goes without saying.
Needs to make better decisions, huh? A college kid had a beer, no child abuse,homocide or even a bruise.
Own up to it? Often owning up to anything in the system is nieve and unproductive.I know you know this, what's with the attitude? You seem angry all day.
Actually not angry at all. I am seldom angry. Merely stating facts. I told OP the son needs to look at diversion if possible or own up. And yes, breaking the law is seldom a sign of making GOOD decisions. And a beer can lead to many consequences other than criminal charges.

This is the OP, I never ever blamed the bar for serving my son, as for my comment about him never being in trouble before I meant legal trouble, and I absolutly DON"T think this is the first time he has drank, I'm not a parent with blinders on.

I just wanted to know what to expect at court or if he should just pay the waiver. I told my son to go ahead and go to the hearing, dress nicely and when the judge asks what he has to say for himself apologize and admit to showing very poor judgement. This is all on him and for him to deal with.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">