• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage drinking citation, blew a .015

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashman51

Last night I received an underage drinking ticket(citation?) in a smaller town in Minnesota. Two of my friends and myself were walking around the neighborhood, and both of them were drinking so I was playing babysitter, but I had a sip of my friends drink. A police officer pulled up alongside of us, asked us if we were drinking. I said I hadn't been, because I thought one sip wasn't going to do anything. The officer then gave us a PBT and I blew a .015. I was wondering what my legal options are. Should I just pay the ticket and get it over with, or is there a chance for me to get the ticket dismissed because of the small amount I drank? Also, I am currently 20 years and 9 months old.

Isis1

Last night I received an underage drinking ticket(citation?) in a smaller town in Minnesota. Two of my friends and myself were walking around the neighborhood, and both of them were drinking so I was playing babysitter, but I had a sip of my friends drink. A police officer pulled up alongside of us, asked us if we were drinking. I said I hadn't been, because I thought one sip wasn't going to do anything. The officer then gave us a PBT and I blew a .015. I was wondering what my legal options are. Should I just pay the ticket and get it over with, or is there a chance for me to get the ticket dismissed because of the small amount I drank? Also, I am currently 20 years and 9 months old.
you had three months to go. THREE MONTHS!!!

you were drinking. whether it was a sip, whether it was a lick, you consumed enough to hit a .015. and you lied to the officer. that wasn't cool at all.

you weren't supposed to have a small amount in your system. not one drop. any amount.

the only dimissal i see, is if the citation was illegally issued.

Mass_Shyster

• You can hire an attorney and fight the ticket.
  • You can try to fight it without an attorney
  • You can pay the ticket

Depending on the consequences, you may be best served by hiring an attorney. There's always a chance of getting it dismissed.

ashman51

What are my chances of getting it dismissed fighting it without a lawyer? I have no idea how my court date will play out or what goes on at one of these hearings(who is all present, how might the conversation between the judge and I play out.

Mass_Shyster

What are my chances of getting it dismissed fighting it without a lawyer? I have no idea how my court date will play out or what goes on at one of these hearings(who is all present, how might the conversation between the judge and I play out.
Based on your second sentence, I'd say that your chances aren't good.

Raleigh

You absolutely should fight this. I would like to know the circumstances by which the cop stopped/questioned your group though. Were you behaving inappropriately? Being loud and obnoxious in a quiet area or place of business?
Are you being charged with a misdemeanor or is it a fine/citation? Why did you consent to the breathalyzer? You didn't have to tell the cop anything and if you were just walking without any alcohol on your possession you would have been completely within your right to refuse to answer any of his questions much less consent to the breathalyzer. Regardless, no prosecutor in his right mind would charge a 20 yr old on a .015 so you need to fight this charge. Depending on the severity of the charge involved you may or may not need an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">