• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Drinking at college

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

idiot730

What is the name of your state? .... Pennsylvania
I attend college at Penn College and this past thurs. I was walking down the street by my appartment and a cop stopped me because he seen a beer can sticking out of my pocket and he charged me with underage drinking and I cant lose my license because my job is driving a tri-axle dumptruck and when i lose my license i wont have my CDL. is there anyway i can get around losing my license and maybe just pay a bigger fine or do some community service or something? Thanks, Jim

moburkes

What is the name of your state? .... Pennsylvania
I attend college at Penn College and this past thurs. I was walking down the street by my appartment and a cop stopped me because he seen a beer can sticking out of my pocket and he charged me with underage drinking and I cant lose my license because my job is driving a tri-axle dumptruck and when i lose my license i wont have my CDL. is there anyway i can get around losing my license and maybe just pay a bigger fine or do some community service or something? Thanks, Jim
Ummmmmmmmm, no.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
YOu are out of a job. And dont' count on receiving unemployment either. If I were your employer I would definitely fight having to pay you ANY unemployment. If you didn't want this to happen you should NOT have been carrying around alcohol when you are a minor.

duiattorneytab

Geez

Dude, look he is college. He is NOT DRIVING home with a beer in his pocket. He is doing the responsible thing by walking home. These guys obviously don't want to help you. If I were you I would start calling a bunch of attorneys in your state and start picking their brains. Be careful though - I get the feeling people might want to scare you into thinking that you need them to represent you. Call a lot of lawyers before you choose any one to represent you.

I got a drinking in public ticket in California years back and all it was a ticket. It had nothing to do with my driver's license. You might want to research what the REAL consequences are first before you start freakin out. It might not be that bad after all....

CourtClerk

Dude, look he is college. He is NOT DRIVING home with a beer in his pocket. He is doing the responsible thing by walking home. These guys obviously don't want to help you. If I were you I would start calling a bunch of attorneys in your state and start picking their brains. Be careful though - I get the feeling people might want to scare you into thinking that you need them to represent you. Call a lot of lawyers before you choose any one to represent you.

I got a drinking in public ticket in California years back and all it was a ticket. It had nothing to do with my driver's license. You might want to research what the REAL consequences are first before you start freakin out. It might not be that bad after all....
Dude.... you should really start by asking the OP how old he is because depending on his age... he could be looking at an automatic suspension of his license whether he was walking, driving, skateboarding, hop scotching or twirling down the street......

by the way.... if he really valued his job and/or college education and his future, he'd think about really stupid behavior before he engaged in it.... just a word of advice.

moburkes

Yep, DUI Attorney is an idiot. Don't call him for assistance. You'll be wasting your money, OP.

UNDERAGE DRINKING
If you are under age 21, it is against the law to buy alcohol, drink alcohol, have alcohol in your possession or have
alcohol in the vehicle you are driving. Even if you are not driving, your driving privilege will be suspended if you are
under 21 years of age and are convicted of lying about your age to obtain alcohol, carrying a false ID card or
purchasing, consuming, possessing or transporting alcohol.
In addition, if you are underage and are arrested and
detained for blood, breath and/or urine testing, parental consent to conduct these tests is not required, but the
police will notify your parents of the arrest.
The minimum penalties for underage drinking are as follows:
• A fine of up to $500 plus court costs.
• A 90-day suspension for the first offense.
• A one (1) year suspension for the second offense.
• A two (2) year suspension for the third and subsequent offenses.
The courts may require you to be evaluated to determine the extent of your involvement with alcohol and may also
require you to successfully complete a program of alcohol education, intervention or counseling.
If you do not have a driver's license, you will be ineligible to apply for a learner's permit for the time period of the
suspension. If you are under 16 years of age, your suspension will not begin until your 16th birthday, provided you
acknowledge your suspension, and it is received any time prior to your 16th birthday.
In addition to serving a suspension, a restoration fee must be paid before your driverʼs license will be returned or
your application for a Non-Commercial Learner's Permit (DL-180) considered for processing.
ONE FACT REMAINS: It is against the law for anyone under age 21 to consume, possess or transport
alcohol.
Again, remember, if you are cited for underage drinking, a motor vehicle
does not have to be involved for you to lose your driving privilege.
DO NOT risk the consequences.
Adults, even parents, who are convicted of knowingly and intentionally supplying minors with alcohol are subject
to a fine of at least $1,000 for the first offense and $2,500 for each additional offense and face up to one year in
jail. Adults are even liable for guests who drink in their homes. If, for example, you had 17 teenagers in your home
for a party and they were drinking alcohol, the party could cost you $41,000. Thatʼs $1,000 for the first teenage
drinker and $2,500 for each of the other 16 drinkers.
DRIVERʼS LICENSE COMPACT (DLC)
The DLC is a compact among member states and the District

Does the idiot attorney have any other advice?

duiattorneytab

Uh, you're an idiot for assuming I'm an attorney. So I can't take money from anyone, my advice is completely without bias. To the guy from Penn State: Basically there is a large possible range of consequences. Remember, random people on the internet are not ones to trust. The only thing you can get from this forum are POSSIBLE truths about your situation.

HomeGuru

Uh, you're an idiot for assuming I'm an attorney. So I can't take money from anyone, my advice is completely without bias. To the guy from Penn State: Basically there is a large possible range of consequences. Remember, random people on the internet are not ones to trust. The only thing you can get from this forum are POSSIBLE truths about your situation.
**A: I apologize for moburkes. He should not have called you an idiot attorney.
He should have just called you an idiot. Please accept our apologies.

moburkes

Nope, no assumptions. I just went by the beginning of your user name. I can't imagine an attorney as dumb as you are. I'm sure they're out there, but I haven't come across one yet.

In any case, your advice was stupid, dumb, idiotic, and wrong.

moburkes

First, you said that he was responsible. How is drinking when you're underage, responsible? How smart is it to defend someone who is illegally carrying a beer, and he has a big outline in his pocket?

I provided him with the CORRECT information. The REAL consequences ARE that bad. Instead of guessing, next time, provide ACCURATE information.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Laws vary from state to state, dude. What happened to you in one state is not a guarantee of what will happen to someone else in another state, dude. They quoted the law for the poster's state, dude. You posted an experience in the wrong state, dude.

See what's wrong now, dude?

duiattorneytab

No Kidding!

I was just sharing an example of what happened to me. And the point of the example was to show that it MIGHT BE POSSIBLE that the consequences are not that bad after all. God you guys are stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">