• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Dui

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shooler

I am from PA and am 18 years old.
Last night I was pulled over a few hours after I had some beers for running a stop sign without slowing down at all. The officer smelled alcohol on my breath. He asked if I had been drinking and eventually I admitted to having a few beers. Fast forward, I blow a .025 and am arrested, given a blood test at the hospital, and released.
This was my first DUI, and otherwise I have no record. For reference, PA has a "zero tolerance" policy and as far as I understand it, drunk driving for under-21 is >.02.

I acknowledge what I did was extremely foolish. I know I have a price to pay, but I also know there are ways I can "do my time" that will be less financially taxing to me (I'm a very low income college student).
A few questions:
I've read a little about ARD but am unsure of whether you enroll in lieu of a fine so I'd like to hear from anyone with more knowledge about the program.
Is it worth it to invest in a private lawyer, or will a public defender be able to help me?
Is it likely that since my BAC was very close to the legal limit that my charge can be reduced?

I have not yet been mailed the information about my court date or the results of the blood test (I'm not sure if they will even be sent?). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FlyingRon

ARD is a fantastic oppurtunity for first time offenders to avoid the stigma of a criminal record. Don't blow it. You'll need a lawyer to negotiate with the district attorney for it, it's not an automatic gimme.

shooler

Thanks for the tip, I was assuming maybe ARD was something the court may mandate.

So ARD can help to expunge the DUI from my record. That's a very good thing-- as I asked before though, does anyone know if the program and the costs associated with it take place of fines, or are they in addition to fines?

FlyingRon

There will be no fines (provided you successfully complete the ARD probation).
There will be costs.
The costs won't be any worse than if you were actually convicted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">