• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage possession of alcohol (19) NEED HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexfromohio

Alex from Ohio....Please respond ASAP...COURT DATE AUGUST 23 2007

So here it goes...me and two of my friends, (we are all 19) went out to get some beer and we get back into town (oxford ohio) the beer is in the back seat and my friend is driving his car and i am sitting in the passenger seat. He is pulled over for speeding and the cop sees the beer in the back.. There is four cases none of them opened and none of us had a drop. The cop ends up giving me and the other passenger tickets for underage possession of alcohol. And the driver gets a speeding ticket and possession,. This is the first time that i have ever been involved with the law. I have read that there is a diversion program available for first time offenders. If you could please help me and tell me how much money the fine usually is for this and maybe if i can do the diversion program. In general i just would like to know the penalties that i am facing. Thank you for you help.

FlyingRon

From the UOhio pages:

he legal drinking age in Ohio for consumption of an alcoholic beverage is 21 years old. Anyone purchasing, possessing or consuming alcohol prior to their 21st birthday may be guilty of a first degree misdemeanor. The maximum penalties associated with this offense are 6 months imprisonment or a $1,000.00 fine or both. A 20 year old student, therefore, risks being jailed and fined when he decides to drink alcohol at a party or elsewhere. Most first offenses are handled through a diversion program requiring community service and costing about $250.00.

"thank you again...do you think that the driver will face any suspension of his licence??
Today 06:20 AM "

It could be. Allthough it doesn't say it on the law books, your state government is free to invent whatever it needs to get you and the driver in to the disposable income control program... more commonly known as "state certified alcohol treatment".

What's fortunate about your experience is that you're learning very early in life about the corruption that exists in your government and it's effects on the practice of law.

Go forth young man and sin no more. At least at this point, if you don't sin you'll at least make it hard for your government to rope you in to the disposable income program. But your government is always working behind the scenes to find ways to tap in to citizens' incomes. ;)

By the way, if in the future you pick up on a bottle of booze at the liquor store, take a moment and thank your state government for making the alcohol available. ;)

alexfromohio

alright

....so is there anyone that knows for sure if i will have to go to jail or anything that extreme based on reading the above content of what happened in this situation??

alexfromohio

yes my friend is going to the lawyer tomorrow he is going to ask him things like i have been talking about....thank you for you help...i hope this isnt to severe

RageRover

I am in the same boat as the first post in this thread. I too am 19 and was charged a misdemeanor for MIP of Alcohol. This was in the state of Michigan, township of Plymouth to be exact. This would be my first misdemeanor in my adult record, and I have a date with the court on Sept. 27th at 35th district court in Plymouth.

I am not exact on what I have to do, all I know I don't deny that I was there and I was caught with my other friends. My friend was driving his truck and his girlfriend was in front, me in the back. A half bottle of Jack Daniel's and one empty of Mike's Hard Lemonade was in the truck.

moburkes

I am in the same boat as the first post in this thread. I too am 19 and was charged a misdemeanor for MIP of Alcohol. This was in the state of Michigan, township of Plymouth to be exact. This would be my first misdemeanor in my adult record, and I have a date with the court on Sept. 27th at 35th district court in Plymouth.

I am not exact on what I have to do, all I know I don't deny that I was there and I was caught with my other friends. My friend was driving his truck and his girlfriend was in front, me in the back. A half bottle of Jack Daniel's and one empty of Mike's Hard Lemonade was in the truck.
If you'd like assistance, you'll need to ask your own questions in a thread that you started. This thread is for questions from the OP (original poster).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">