• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unintentional Probation Trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Troubledstudent

What is the name of your state? Washington

I recieved a DUI in washington state in december of 2006. I went through the court proceedings, spent a weekend in jail, and my license was suspended for the term of one year. I was also required to obtain an alcohol/substance abuse evaluation and then complete whatever recommended treatment. I am also on 5 year unsupervised probation.

The recommended treatment was a one year program, 6 months of weekly meetings, followed by 6 months of monthly follow-through. I began this program in april, and went through the first 3 and a half months. I then moved away from my home town to return to school at the University of Idaho. This was ok with probation as long as i still mailed in my monthly reports, and that i transferred my alcohol classes within a reasonable amount of time.

I have been here in Idaho now for two and a half months. i contacted the county courthouse here and they got me in contact with the only counseling agency in town. I have tried several times to contact them, but I have yet to set up a succesful meeting. We had one appointment, which i was forced to cancel because it coincided with an exam, and since the counselor has not contacted me back in reply to any messages.

I just recieved a notice that due to my failure to transfer the classes, i was in violation of my court order, and was being referred back to court. I am interested what I can expect in this situation? I am also concerned that the court date will be set for a time when i am still here in school, and due to it being 8 hours from home, and my lack of drivers license, i might not be able to make it.....

FlyingRon

I just recieved a notice that due to my failure to transfer the classes, i was in violation of my court order, and was being referred back to court. I am interested what I can expect in this situation? I am also concerned that the court date will be set for a time when i am still here in school, and due to it being 8 hours from home, and my lack of drivers license, i might not be able to make it.....
Contact your probation officer back home and throw yourself on their mercy. I'd do everything I could to get that meeting with the counsellor and a letter from them saying you were back on program.

If you are ordered to court. MAKE IT. Things are going to be MUCH worse for you if you are officially an absconder (Jail comes to mind). They gave you a favor of letting you go off to school and you abused it. Your claims of class are lame and won't float any more than a note from your mommie. You're an adult. Live up to your responsibilities.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Umm you better make it to court. That should be HIGH on your list of priorities -- AS IN FIRST! If not then you will find a warrant issued for your arrest and end up in jail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">