• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unique DUI situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOEJOE55

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hello, I got a DUI in North Carolina a little less than 3 years ago. One year ago I moved to Florida. I was able to get a completely unrestricted FL license. In North Carolina they made me install a breath test machine into my vehicle. After moving to Florida the breath company told me that I would have to drive to NC every month to have the machine downloaded. I told them that was impossible.

I removed the machine and sent it back to them. They said I was in non compliance. On that same vehicle, the NC plates and registration have expired, and the same vehicle has not been register in FL thus far.

Today my friend in NC told me that the police stopped by my last residence with a warrant.

What can I do to get this warrant cancelled? Call sheriff directly? (Worried about cell phone gps). If I explained the situation would they cancel it or would I still have a warrant, go to jail , and see a judge?

Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hello, I got a DUI in North Carolina a little less than 3 years ago. One year ago I moved to Florida. I was able to get a completely unrestricted FL license. In North Carolina they made me install a breath test machine into my vehicle. After moving to Florida the breath company told me that I would have to drive to NC every month to have the machine downloaded. I told them that was impossible.

I removed the machine and sent it back to them. They said I was in non compliance. On that same vehicle, the NC plates and registration have expired, and the same vehicle has not been register in FL thus far.

Today my friend in NC told me that the police stopped by my last residence with a warrant.

What can I do to get this warrant cancelled? Call sheriff directly? (Worried about cell phone gps). If I explained the situation would they cancel it or would I still have a warrant, go to jail , and see a judge?

Thanks
Not unique at all. You violated the law. You have a warrant and will have a warrant until you turn yourself in and face the music for removing the machine. Quite frankly, you committed a criminal act. Good job. Get an attorney. Your warrant is not going to be cancelled. YOU VIOLATED THE LAW. You were on probation which is why the machine. When you removed it, you violated probation. You are most likely facing jail time.

Bravo.

JOEJOE55

Not unique at all. You violated the law. You have a warrant and will have a warrant until you turn yourself in and face the music for removing the machine. Quite frankly, you committed a criminal act. Good job. Get an attorney. Your warrant is not going to be cancelled. YOU VIOLATED THE LAW. You were on probation which is why the machine. When you removed it, you violated probation. You are most likely facing jail time.

Bravo.
No help**************.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect your FL license will be revoked (or otherwise rendered invalid) as soon as they "catch up" with things.

Mass_Shyster

I suggest you contact an attorney in North Carolina to find out what needs to be done. It appears you continued operating the vehicle on NC plates without the interlock device, in violation of NC law.

Eventually, NC will notify the National Driver's License Database and flag your license. When you try to renew it, or register a vehicle in FL, it will come up as flagged and the FL DMV will not process the transaction.

dave33

Thanks
To cancel the warrant you must appear before the judge and deal with the violation issue.
How much probation did you have? Is leaving the state also going to be a violation?
You will need to be arraigned on the violation and you need an attorney.goodluck.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No help**************.
Why? Because I didn't tell you that you are such a picked upon individual and the big bad NC courts shouldn't have placed a warrant against you because you are innocent -- innocent, you say! After all, that machine -- you didn't HAVE to follow their rules if you thought they were stupid. Why should they have any control over your life at all because you don't deserve such BULLYING.

Last edited by a moderator:

tranquility

Since a warrant is an order from the court, calling the sheriff to explain would be worthless. The only way to get it cancelled is to contact the court. Officially. Contact. The court. This is not going to be done over the phone. You or your attorney will have to deal with this there. I suggest your attorney unless you feel like spending at least the night in jail (And, have enough money to bail out once it is set.).

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Today's PMs include one from the OP:

Creatively titled "silly bitch," joejoe goes on to write his important message, complete with lack of capitalization or punctuation: "dumb ass"

I believe joejoe has expressed himself to the full extent of his capabilities. A round of applause for joejoe!

:p
I got this one:
JOEJOE55 said:
you are a dumb ****
Ain't that sweet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">