• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Update to my DUI charge...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? MN

I must admit...when I first started reading the forums on this site, I was so scared to go to court for my DUI...my FIRST offense for anything, I had never even had a speeding ticket before this. I was expecting thousands of dollars in fines...jail...a high insurance rate...everything based on what I read here.

My DUI came out just fine...I only had a $50 fine, and I was ordered to a Victim's Impact Panel meeting, which I attended before my court date. My insurance also only went up $15 a month as a result of the conviction.

Many people come on this site trying to scare people thinking they need to have an attorney and that they are going to face thousands of dollars in fines and court appointed classes and all that. It's not necessarily true. I never had a record before this, and I will NOT drive even within 48 hours of drinking now...I am only 5'4", 102 pounds...I never knew that a couple drinks and then driving 5 hours later would put me at over 0.08, but I also did learn from this mistake. I hope this helps some, and to those who leave the mean posts...some people actually do make and learn from ONE mistake.

This DUI happened last February...I am posting this now, because I just got my renewal notice on my insurance and thought about this site. I have been doing just fine....got a new promotion that I love and am getting married this summer. Thanks for your concern.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

What was the final outcome in court? Were you found guilty of DUI? Is this perm-ly on your record? Speaking for myself, the fines, DUI classes, etc did not have the impact that having this first offense DUI on my record did, does and will continue to have. For that reason, I recommend people hire an attorney and fight the charge if they are truly not guilty of the charge.

And I totally agree with you....but it definitely depends on the state. In MN, it's VERY hard to fight a DUI...they are a tough state on drunk driving charges, AS THEY SHOULD BE. I am not denying that. But, I knew that going into my court date. The ironic thing was that there were 3 others who had DUI charges who I watched during my trial....since they just give you a 4 hour period here to wait for your trial basically in a line up. All 3 had attorneys, all received at least a $500 fine, a suspended license, and had to pay for classes, etc. etc. It will be on my record for 10 years, but there was no way I could get it down to wet and reckless in MN. I am a very precocious individual...I went to 3 straight days of sitting in court watching how other DUI cases were processed, nobody was able to plead it down. I went in to court prepared...and I truly 100% believe I came out better than I would have with an attorney. It is highly unprobable that you will be able to fight the charge these days if you are over 0.08 IN A STATE THAT DOES NOT OFFER A DIVERSION PROGRAM. It totally depends on that...MN is lenient on some things, but drunk driving it is not so. You need to research your state and understand the statues...watch others that are prosecuted before your court date...then you will know. But if I did get an attorney, I would have been $3000 out in additional fees for hiring him/her. It's up to you...

Also....one more thing I forgot to note in my previous post, my first and only offense did not impede me in finding a job...one month after my DUI I decided to switch positions and find a new company to work for in regards to other reasons. It never came up as a problem...I received 5 offers within 3 weeks of the conviction, I also have a college degree and am currently pursuing an MBA. I explained it and any ramifications from it, so PLEASE learn from your mistake, don't EVER f*** up again like that, but don't let it control you is all that I am saying. It has affected EVERY decision I have made over the past year, and I have felt so much guilt, but I have really learned from it and I hope that everyone else in this position would as well.

clrcommunik

MN DUI $50 they wanted to soak me for $2000

I live in CA and it would have been $3000+ here, if I was still drinking I'd move there.
There is nothing scary about this, what makes me angry is an overly democratic system that develops all these agencies to take money for no logical or corrective reasoning for your behavior. I'll drop a note for people that are really "alcoholic" something that really works.
There are tow DUI types, alcoholic and not., the not should take the classes and other b.s., the alcoholics need to find a "Prometa" provider on the internet., $12,000 corrects the problem in 3 days through a medical procedure.

How would it be $3000+ in California? I was able to get only a $50 fine because of the case I build up against the prosecution on my own. Minnesota is one of the toughest states on DUIs - they don't offer a diversion program or probation or anything....if you get a DUI...it's on your record...not just IF you screw up again. California does allow for a diversion program or plead down to a wet and reckless, but MN unfortunately does not. And i totally agree with your alcoholics v. non-alcoholics.

paguy88

I live in CA and it would have been $3000+ here, if I was still drinking I'd move there.
There is nothing scary about this, what makes me angry is an overly democratic system that develops all these agencies to take money for no logical or corrective reasoning for your behavior. I'll drop a note for people that are really "alcoholic" something that really works.
There are tow DUI types, alcoholic and not., the not should take the classes and other b.s., the alcoholics need to find a "Prometa" provider on the internet., $12,000 corrects the problem in 3 days through a medical procedure.

some of the stuff thery make you do as far as treatemnt is a sham.

50/50 chance if you get a DUI u r a alcholic only you know your drinking patterns.

the classes make it look like they are helping you... I am sure for some they do thus that justifies it. its another way to take more of your money.

The needs of the many out weight the needs of the few or the one Spock Wrath of Kahn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">