• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VC 23152 and HS 11550 at Camp Pendleton

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

29ATWA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My case is really really lame. Long story shorter, one night I by accident ended up at the San Luis Rey gate at Camp Pendleton. I knew I was lost, but in the general direction of where I was going. After waiting in a long line of stopped traffic, I decided I was going to turn around and go back until I was back on a familiar street. Well, as traffic started to move up, I could start to see some sort of booth up ahead. So I decided since I was in the middle of nowhere, to drive up and ask for directions before I turned around, just in case I was closer than I thought to the road I needed to be on.
Anyhow, two Military Police appeared in front of my car and scared the hell out of me. They accused me of being impaired and decided after an hour to call the Oceanside police.
Now, I was not impaired, I just got lost and had no idea I was at the base.
I do take prescription Adderall legitimately, but I told the officer I may have taken 1 more than I usually take. Now by usual I meant more than 1 lately because I have not been working all day. I am prescribed to take two of them a day. The way I said it was probably interpreted as taking too many or two at one time.
I was asked to do some FST's in my horribly, heavy over sized flip flops, even after asking to change into my shoes which were in the car. Also, it was on very rough, uneven pavement. I'm not sure what, or why they decided to take me in for more questions and to submit to a chemical test, but they did.
I was released 19 hours later (because I didn't know I could leave) on a Notice To Appear. I appeared and was told no charges were being filed. Then two days later I received a notice from the D.A's office informing me of an arraignment. At that arraignment, I was informed that amphetamines showed up in the blood test (duh) and I plead not guilty. They told the judge that (plea) and about the amphetamines showing up, but that I had a legal prescription. The judge said, " Just be careful"

Now, the second court date (which my assigned public defender couldn't even show up at, nor did he talk to me about the case before going in because he didn't have my file yet) I was told after telling the stand in P.D. that I'm not guilty, and I won't plead to a lesser charge of Wet and Reckless, I was told that (and i think it's because of my NOT GUILTY PLEA) They have added new charges.
The new charge is for HS 11550. I told him I have a prescription. Anyhow, now they are saying that it was methamphetamine that showed up in my blood test. I think these people are nuts. I don't know what happened or what all that means, but I do not use illegal drugs.

My question is (and sorry this is so long) Can they do that?? Add another charge? Just because I didn't plead guilty? It seems excessive to charge someone with a DUI and then another charge that says you can't use or be under the influence of blah, blah, blah. Nor can a person drive under the influence. Is this because the laws really only deal with alcohol, and impairment?

garrula lingua

It's common practice to add 11550 to a DUI when drugs are causing the impairment.

You can be 'under the influence' (11550) of prescribed medicine - Vicodin is a common one.

The bad news for you is that an 11550 carries a mandatory 90 days in county jail.
When coupled with a DUI, it is not supposed to allow a drug deferral program such as DEJ or Prop 36.

The wet & reckless may be a viable solution.

Or, take it to trial. You'll need an expert regarding the drug effect and another (usually a chemist) regarding the quantity and id of the drug.

BTW, the Prosecutor can add charges all s/he wants, up until the jury trial.

CdwJava

My case is really really lame.
Most DUIs are "lame".

Long story shorter, one night I by accident ended up at the San Luis Rey gate at Camp Pendleton.
My old beat area when I was a patrol officer!

Well, as traffic started to move up, I could start to see some sort of booth up ahead.
That was the gate booth, and the Military Police staff it.

Anyhow, two Military Police appeared in front of my car and scared the hell out of me. They accused me of being impaired and decided after an hour to call the Oceanside police.
What did they do for that hour? It could be that they DID call the OPD but they were a tad busy ... that city can be like that.

Now, I was not impaired, I just got lost and had no idea I was at the base.
I do take prescription Adderall legitimately, but I told the officer I may have taken 1 more than I usually take.
As Garrula mentioned (and she is a retired prosecutor, FYI), you CAN be DUI while under the influence of prescription medication. It's NEVER a good idea to take "1 more" than your usual dosage (aka a DOUBLE dose). I seriously doubt there was even an intent to take two at one time ... that two per day order is so that the effects are spread out, not compounded.

I was asked to do some FST's in my horribly, heavy over sized flip flops, even after asking to change into my shoes which were in the car. Also, it was on very rough, uneven pavement. I'm not sure what, or why they decided to take me in for more questions and to submit to a chemical test, but they did.
I imagine they took you in because of their observations of the objective signs of impairment, and their belief that you were operating a motor vehicle while so impaired.

My question is (and sorry this is so long) Can they do that?? Add another charge? Just because I didn't plead guilty?
Yes. They can add them not because you pleaded not guilty, but because the DA believes they have a case against you for the charges alleged. Apparently the concentration of amphetamines in your system was beyond what one would expect for a prescription dosage when used as prescribed, and in any case, driving while impaired is unlawful.

- Carl

29ATWA

Hey I just came back to this after all this time-
wow! I guess I actually believed all that at that time- previous posting re:VC 23152 and HS 11550 at Camp Pendleton Reading that makes me cringe - embarrassed for sure.

scary. At that time My thinking was the fact that I had driven that far (to the back gate) from where I left approx. and made it there safe somehow (because I honestly thought I was dreaming I was driving) that my Driving per se was not impaired. My mind was though for sure -

which I know now is just as bad as physical impairment - if not worse.

I was convicted on the VC 23152 and HS 11550 charges - and rightly so. No disagreement from me.

Anyways, Thank You to those who took the time to even read that and/or respond - as well as my sincere apologies.

I failed myself- but the Justice System did not! Thankfully teaching me a great lesson. I'm so glad no one was hurt.
I'm sorry I wasted the MP's time that night having to deal with me and take time away from a long lane of cars going into base - and I cut in front (the next lane which wasn't opened yet) of all of them for nothing- I didn't want to drive onto base.

It could have been far worse I know. It wasn't my prescription - it was the methampetamines i took that did it. That's why I don't do that and haven't since that weekend. I'm lucky and Thank God for this wake up call.

Sincerely,
Carrie

Last edited:

29ATWA

Most DUIs are "lame".
No - I was lame.

My old beat area when I was a patrol officer!
Awesome - Thank You

That was the gate booth, and the Military Police staff it.

What did they do for that hour? It could be that they DID call the OPD but they were a tad busy ... that city can be like that.
Probably it was a Friday night. They were observing me - OPD included.

As Garrula mentioned (and she is a retired prosecutor, FYI), you CAN be DUI while under the influence of prescription medication. It's NEVER a good idea to take "1 more" than your usual dosage (aka a DOUBLE dose). I seriously doubt there was even an intent to take two at one time ... that two per day order is so that the effects are spread out, not compounded.

I know but judging by the blood test results it wasn't the adderall. The amphetamine level was lower than the methamphetamine level - 96ng/60ng

I imagine they took you in because of their observations of the objective signs of impairment, and their belief that you were operating a motor vehicle while so impaired.

You are right. I never thought they were being unfair. I did think I was being punked though.. That was wishful thinking. Stupid too.

Yes. They can add them not because you pleaded not guilty, but because the DA believes they have a case against you for the charges alleged. Apparently the concentration of amphetamines in your system was beyond what one would expect for a prescription dosage when used as prescribed, and in any case, driving while impaired is unlawful.

It's because of the confirmation test they did after I initially pled not guilty showed both amphetamines.

- Carl
Thanks Carl. I appreciate you took the time to read and respond to my first post -!! You are nice!! and some humor- which i needed after embarrassing myself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">