• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very Nervous!! DUI or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JV25

What is the name of your state?
California

Okay, I was recently pulled over and blew a .09% I have a court appearance in a couple weeks. I'm nervous because I'm supposed to leave to start my new job in early February. So basically I need to get this over with ASAP!! If I tell the judge or my lawyer to ask for a quicker alcohol program, community service, etc can they reduce the penalties or offer me a program that I can finish in 2 to 3 weeks? Since I was only at a .09% BAC, do you think my lawyer can make a plea agreement for a "wet reckless" or I am dreaming? Please be honest, I just need to know what to expect. Happy New Year everyone!

CourtClerk

You need to expect that this will not wrap itself up by February, especially if you plan to contest the charges. However, if you are charged with misd. DUI, then it's quite possible you won't need to make all the appearances if your attorney appears for you. You may want to discuss your options with your attorney.

JV25

Can the Penalties be Reduced?

So, if I am charged with misd. DUI, then is it possible to get the penalties reduced? I have discussed this with my lawyer and he is going to try his best to get the charges reduced. Considering a .09% BAC, when would be the earliest and latest I could get this taken care of? I am mainly concerned about finishing the alcohol program, AA meetings, etc ASAP. So do you think maybe in late February or early March?

Paige75

My experience...

State: California

I was pulled over in late June 2007 and also blew a .09%. I hired an attorney and my case did not settle till October 2007. With that said, it’s NOT a quick process. My attorney was able to get my DUI down to a wet reckless, but it took him 5 times (and months!) talking to the DA for that to happen. I did get half the fines (still expensive) and no work project. Unfortunately, DMV convicted me before the court did and I had my license suspended for 1 month and applied for restricted license after. Pay attention to the DMV rules!! You can have your license suspended for 4 months (no driving) and then apply for your unrestricted license OR serve the 1 month suspension and apply for restricted (drive to & from work and to & from program only) BUT you will not be able to apply for you’re unrestricted for 5 months! I also per DMV, I have to take a 3 month first offenders program in order to fulfill what I need to do to get my unrestricted license. I will be done with the DUI 3 month program come the 1st week of February, but won’t be able to get my unrestricted license till March 2008. It makes no sense, but that’s the way it is. All this does not include your insurance. You will also need to file a SR-22 in order to get your restricted license and my insurance is going to triple. No kidding.

This has been an expensive and eye opening lesson. Good luck! Happy a happy & SAFE new year!

JV25

When is the soonest I can leave for me new job?

Thank you Paige for your response. Can you or someone please tell me when the soonest I can leave for my new job? I only need a restricted drivers license... so it's just a matter of how long the classes take. So basically, since my DMV hearing is in a couple weeks, and my court appearance is in 2 1/2 weeks, when is the soonest I can leave for my new job? And when would be the latest? I'm thinking earliest early March and latest July... but I don't know because I've never gone through this. Please respond. Thank u!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">