• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Washington State Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pwyatt3499

Hello!
I was arrested for DUI on March 31st this last year. My drivers license was suspended for 90 days by the DOL (Administrative Action), from June 6th, until September 4th. I completed all the requirements to reinstate my license (SR22, $160 reinstatement fee/new license fee). Went to sentencing on September 27th, and received 364 days in jail with 363 suspended, $5000 fine, with $4600 suspended, manditory outpatient chemical dependancy classes (for $2800), probation for 5 years, manditory Victims Panel, and a 90 day license suspension. Now, I had thought that I already took care of that. Yesterday (October 31st), I receive a notice letter in the mail from the DOL informing me that my license will be suspended again on December 13th, but that since I already served my suspension, that all I have to do now is satisfy the same requirments, plus some new ones: specifically, proof that I am enrolled in a chemical dependancy course and that I am satifactorily participating (which I am, so no big deal), and (this is the kicker for me) proof of installation of an ignition interlock device. WTF?! Can they do this (I know they can, cause they did)?! Should I get a lawyer? I'm tryin' to play by the friggin' rules here, but they just keep stackin' crap on! Some advice would be appreciated...

sjmjuly

Yes. Your license can be suspended again after conviction. The first time it was suspended was the Administrative action taken by the DMV, which has nothing to do with the court conviction. Once convicted, the court notifies the DMV and it gets suspended again.
As far as the interlock goes, you must have blown a high BAC (over .15) or maybe this was not your first DUI????? Usually on first time conviction an interlock device is not required unless the BAC was high, or there were additional circumstances related to your case. (ie., an accident, injuries, something like that)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">