• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Watch list for people with DUI arrest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LakersFan

What is the name of your state? California

A friend of mine was telling that when police randomly runs license plates people who have been arrested for DUI will be flagged and they will find a reason to pull them over and ticket them for minor stuff. Anyone else heard of such a list?

CdwJava

A friend of mine was telling that when police randomly runs license plates people who have been arrested for DUI will be flagged and they will find a reason to pull them over and ticket them for minor stuff. Anyone else heard of such a list?
There is no such list maintained by the state of CA. However, local agencies and counties may maintain such a list in their local computer system(s) that cross reference the associated vehicle or registered owner with DUI priors. Some dispatchers might even run the registered owner to see if the R/O has a DUI prior.

However, having a prior DUI conviction does NOT constitute reasonable suspicion for a detention.

Unless your friend works for a local law enforcement agency, I think he's passing on rumor and innuendo that just isn't the case out here. It might be, but if it is, it's very local and it requires some additional work on the part of dispatchers.

- Carl

outonbail

What is the name of your state? California

The thought of this list floating around police stations is actually laughable. For one thing, the police would have to be awfully bored if they find it necessary to make lists of people they want to issue citations to for "minor stuff"

Now I'm assuming that minor stuff would be things like a cracked windshield, broken tail light lens, burned out marker light, obscured license plate, illegal window tint etc.
Most of the time it works the other way around and the police use these equipment violations to legally pull over a vehicle and then shake them down for drugs, weapons or alcohol related offenses. What you and your friends might call the "Major Stuff"

But the easiest way to avoid getting yourself tangled up in being pulled over, questioned, jumping through FST hoops and agreeing to vehicle searches is to make sure that your vehicle is completely legal. This only requires you to take a walk around your vehicle and make sure all the lights and directional signals work and are properly adjusted, there are no broken lenses or cracked glass, your license plate is not obstructed by a trailer ball and the lights illuminate it properly and that the plate's not barely hanging on by one bolt or bailing wire. Check that your tires are not bald, that the engine doesn't smoke excessively and the exhaust isn't loud or dragging on the road. Replace that rag you have sticking out of the side of the car with a gas cap, make sure you don't have twenty five pounds of gold chains and plastic beads hanging off your rear view mirror and always be sure that you and all of your passengers are wearing their seat belts. I always have to laugh when I see a car driving down the road with the seat belt hanging out the door and the buckle making sparks when it bounces off the asphalt.
Another good idea you may want to consider, is to scrape that NORML bumper sticker off. In fact, there is a whole assortment of bumper stickers and vehicle dress up accessories you should avoid if you don't want to draw attention to yourself. A few bumper stickers to avoid are: "I BRAKE FOR HALLUCINATIONS!" "BAD COP, NO DONUT" "RETURN FIRE GUARANTEED" "PROTECTED BY SMITH & WESSON" "HOWS MY DRIVING, Call 1-800-EAT-$HIT" "WIGGER ON BOARD" "CHEECH & CHONG 4 PRESIDENT" "HORN BROKE, WATCH FOR FINGER" and all stickers depicting marijuana leaves and/or the Zig-Zag man. Oh yeah, that MADD sticker isn't fooling anyone either, especially when you have a Jack Daniels license plate frame! I'd even advise you to take the Spuds McKenzie head wobbler off the rear dash as well.

Then it's your driving habits that you need to pay attention to. Like not weaving in and out of traffic and constantly changing lanes or swerving over the line, going way over or way under the posted speed limit, driving at night without your lights on or driving any time with a turn signal constantly blinking, driving all stiff armed with your nose just about touching the windshield. Turning your high beams off when another car approaches you. Always stay to your right, if someone's tailgating you, pull aside and let them pass, do not slam on your brakes! Try to use your turn signals when turning or changing lanes, try not to use your horn for every little thing that pisses you off, don't toss your cigarette butts out the window or any other trash for that matter. One last thing that's a dead give away that someone's under the influence, is stopping for a green light, or falling asleep at a red one even though your stereo can be heard five blocks away.

So if you do the things I mentioned above, you will have a far less chance of being pulled over and harassed by the police than most of your friends. Plus, you will not have to worry about being pulled over because of your name being on some list, since there will be no "minor Stuff" to receive a ticket for!

CdwJava

Dang it, Outonbail!

Another keyboard ruined by a spewed blended mocha!

(That stuff hurts going through the sinusses, ya know!)

:D:D:D:D

- Carl

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

All true; don't do anything to stand out in the driving crowd. As a survivor of a last offense DUI myself, I do know this..... if I'm pulled over for anything, I will expect to be suspected of driving under the influence and probably having to take a breathalyzer test.

outonbail

Dang it, Outonbail!

Another keyboard ruined by a spewed blended mocha!

(That stuff hurts going through the sinusses, ya know!)

:D:D:D:D

- Carl
Sorry, I just can't help it. It just irks the hell out of me when someone posts about how they were pulled over for no reason or were racially profiled or set up, when they are doing everything in their power to draw attention to themselves.
Not a day goes by where you don't hear or read about another idiot who was arrested for having a half million dollars worth of drugs, which was found after they were pulled over because of an expired registration or a burned out tail light.
Don't people ever walk around their own vehicles and look at their car's equipment? Do they get used to looking through that spider web of cracks across their entire windshield?

They can't wait to show you their new three thousand dollar stereo system, but they don't have a hundred fifty bucks for a windshield?

Then they will worry about some secret list the police are plotting against them with because another friend without a clue told them they heard about it from yet some other idiot!
Even if this were true, there isn't a damn thing they can about it and worrying about something so ridiculous is a complete waste of energy.
Now maintaining all the safety equipment on their vehicles is something they can do and something that will help to avoid getting pulled over, but they never seem to worry about these easily rectified problems?
You never hear them saying, "hey, my friend told me that if your brake lights don't work you'll get pulled over"
But when they get pulled over for no brake lights, they think it happened because their name is on some kind of secret police "hit" list?

I just never understood this type of thinking and don't suppose I ever will.
But, I guess it's just job security for you guys,,,,,

CdwJava

Don't people ever walk around their own vehicles and look at their car's equipment? Do they get used to looking through that spider web of cracks across their entire windshield?
Yet, people still wonder why we conduct so many rinky-dink stops! :D It's because that's where we find the criminals!

They can't wait to show you their new three thousand dollar stereo system, but they don't have a hundred fifty bucks for a windshield?
Must be an inverse status thing.

Then they will worry about some secret list the police are plotting against them with because another friend without a clue told them they heard about it from yet some other idiot!
I wonder if this one will survive the test of ages right up there with the myth that an undercover officer having to admit he's a cop if you ask him! :eek:

But when they get pulled over for no brake lights, they think it happened because their name is on some kind of secret police "hit" list?
But it IS! ;)

I just never understood this type of thinking and don't suppose I ever will.
But, I guess it's just job security for you guys,,,,,
If they were bright, we'd be awfully bored. Fortunately, the dope and the alcohol addle their brains ... makes life easier for us.

- Carl

Just Blue

The thought of this list floating around police stations is actually laughable. For one thing, the police would have to be awfully bored if they find it necessary to make lists of people they want to issue citations to for "minor stuff"

Now I'm assuming that minor stuff would be things like a cracked windshield, broken tail light lens, burned out marker light, obscured license plate, illegal window tint etc.
Most of the time it works the other way around and the police use these equipment violations to legally pull over a vehicle and then shake them down for drugs, weapons or alcohol related offenses. What you and your friends might call the "Major Stuff"

But the easiest way to avoid getting yourself tangled up in being pulled over, questioned, jumping through FST hoops and agreeing to vehicle searches is to make sure that your vehicle is completely legal. This only requires you to take a walk around your vehicle and make sure all the lights and directional signals work and are properly adjusted, there are no broken lenses or cracked glass, your license plate is not obstructed by a trailer ball and the lights illuminate it properly and that the plate's not barely hanging on by one bolt or bailing wire. Check that your tires are not bald, that the engine doesn't smoke excessively and the exhaust isn't loud or dragging on the road. Replace that rag you have sticking out of the side of the car with a gas cap, make sure you don't have twenty five pounds of gold chains and plastic beads hanging off your rear view mirror and always be sure that you and all of your passengers are wearing their seat belts. I always have to laugh when I see a car driving down the road with the seat belt hanging out the door and the buckle making sparks when it bounces off the asphalt.
Another good idea you may want to consider, is to scrape that NORML bumper sticker off. In fact, there is a whole assortment of bumper stickers and vehicle dress up accessories you should avoid if you don't want to draw attention to yourself. A few bumper stickers to avoid are: "I BRAKE FOR HALLUCINATIONS!" "BAD COP, NO DONUT" "RETURN FIRE GUARANTEED" "PROTECTED BY SMITH & WESSON" "HOWS MY DRIVING, Call 1-800-EAT-$HIT" "WIGGER ON BOARD" "CHEECH & CHONG 4 PRESIDENT" "HORN BROKE, WATCH FOR FINGER" and all stickers depicting marijuana leaves and/or the Zig-Zag man. Oh yeah, that MADD sticker isn't fooling anyone either, especially when you have a Jack Daniels license plate frame! I'd even advise you to take the Spuds McKenzie head wobbler off the rear dash as well.

Then it's your driving habits that you need to pay attention to. Like not weaving in and out of traffic and constantly changing lanes or swerving over the line, going way over or way under the posted speed limit, driving at night without your lights on or driving any time with a turn signal constantly blinking, driving all stiff armed with your nose just about touching the windshield. Turning your high beams off when another car approaches you. Always stay to your right, if someone's tailgating you, pull aside and let them pass, do not slam on your brakes! Try to use your turn signals when turning or changing lanes, try not to use your horn for every little thing that pisses you off, don't toss your cigarette butts out the window or any other trash for that matter. One last thing that's a dead give away that someone's under the influence, is stopping for a green light, or falling asleep at a red one even though your stereo can be heard five blocks away.

So if you do the things I mentioned above, you will have a far less chance of being pulled over and harassed by the police than most of your friends. Plus, you will not have to worry about being pulled over because of your name being on some list, since there will be no "minor Stuff" to receive a ticket for!
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!:D

You could get paid for your writing!! You write some of the funniest things I have ever read...it's funny 'cause it's true!!!!!

Thanks for the giggle...I am a bit down 'cause my DD went off to Uni and I miss her...so thank you for the laugh!!!:cool:

outonbail

I wonder if this one will survive the test of ages right up there with the myth that an undercover officer having to admit he's a cop if you ask him!
I don't know, there's some of these myths that have been carved in stone.

The police have to read you your rights when they arrest you, or they have to let you go is another one.

Then the old possession is 9/10Th's of the law still gets tossed around. Although today people only seem to apply that to when they have stolen property so it becomes theirs, not when they're holding someone else's dope.

Then you have the group that will refuse to obey an order while they scream, "I know my rights" and don't even stop when they're in handcuffs, being dragged to the black and white, only then they scream, "You can't do this to me". Then the pepper spray comes out. But that doesn't stop them, because they still have something else to scream, specifically, "I'll have your badge for this!"
I actually witnessed this happen to a guy who was arrested for trespassing! He claimed he had a right to be in a public park (drunk as a skunk) and he wasn't going to leave and they couldn't make him, yada, yada, yada.

It was the most entertaining day at the park I ever had!

I don't believe the police ever read him his rights either,,,, well, I have heard pepper spray referred to as "Your Rights in an Aerosol Can" so if that counts he received his rights a couple of times! :D

But I have often wondered if he ever got anyone's badge???? :rolleyes:

But I don't think that's ever happened, so I kinda doubt it did in his.

CdwJava

The police have to read you your rights when they arrest you, or they have to let you go is another one.
That one DOES have SOME basis in reality, however. It is the policy of the NYPD and many other agencies to Mirandize anyone arrested (asking only if they understand their rights, not if they want to talk). So, it's hard to blame John Q. Public for that one completely ... because TV does seem to portray that one reasonably well since most these shows tend to be about NYPD. (Weren't all the cop shows in Los Angeles once upon a time??)

Then the old possession is 9/10Th's of the law still gets tossed around. Although today people only seem to apply that to when they have stolen property so it becomes theirs, not when they're holding someone else's dope.
Yeah! "I got arrested for possession! But it wasn't my dope! I was just holding on to it for my pal!"

I actually witnessed this happen to a guy who was arrested for trespassing! He claimed he had a right to be in a public park (drunk as a skunk) and he wasn't going to leave and they couldn't make him, yada, yada, yada.
Wait, you were there!? Do you have the video tape, I'm getting sued again for that! ;)

(Though, actually, I AM being sued for something similar ... I'm so proud. :eek:)

But I have often wondered if he ever got anyone's badge????
Of course he did - they are in the report.

- Carl

fairisfair

I don't know, there's some of these myths that have been carved in stone.

Then you have the group that will refuse to obey an order while they scream, "I know my rights" and don't even stop when they're in handcuffs, being dragged to the black and white, only then they scream, "You can't do this to me". Then the pepper spray comes out. But that doesn't stop them, because they still have something else to scream, specifically, "I'll have your badge for this!"

It was the most entertaining day at the park I ever had!

I don't believe the police ever read him his rights either,,,, well, I have heard pepper spray referred to as "Your Rights in an Aerosol Can" so if that counts he received his rights a couple of times! :D

But I have often wondered if he ever got anyone's badge???? :rolleyes:

But I don't think that's ever happened, so I kinda doubt it did in his.
Bay is right OOB, you really should be getting paid for your writing.

You really are hilarious. But, if you write a book, you must include the cat netting/wetting alligator guy as well. The forum is exceeding entertaining tonight!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">